Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Middle East Conflict (Read 170677 times)
spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Re: Middle East Conflict
Reply #150 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I give up...who are you?

Are you friends with briney?  If so I am sorry, he most likely asked to 'draw' you.  We currently have a class action lawsuit going against him but it isn't working.

In closing, bob is a homo.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #151 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Hello, Alex, and welcome to the board.   Smiley

Shoher is definitely a neo-conservative.  Although I don't necessarily disagree with his views on Israel retaking the entirety of the promised land, I'm not sure that I agree with his proposed methods.

I've downloaded his book, so I'll take a look at it before passing judgment.  The Middle East situation is incredibly complex, and a handful of talking points in the media is not much to judge a man by.

Again, welcome aboard!

-b0b
(...is hijacking somebody's wireless service.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #152 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Quote:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/C09A4C6C-A2D0-4616-9118-0019AB338CD4.htm

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2008
12:22 MECCA TIME, 9:22 GMT

Pakistan ruling party concedes poll
Pakistan's newspapers heralded the
defeat of Musharraf's allies [AFP]

Pakistan's ruling party has conceded electoral defeat, as opposition parties won enough seats to form a new government that could threaten the rule of Pervez Musharraf, the Pakistani president, according to partial results.

Tariq Azeem, spokesman for the Pakistan Muslim League-Q (PML-Q), which backed Musharraf announced on Tuesday that the party would "accept the verdict of the nation".

"We officially concede defeat," he said.

Several of the leading PML-Q candidates, including its chief, lost their seats in Monday's election and unofficial results, announced on state television, showed they could not attain a parliamentary majority.

"This is the basic spirit of democracy," Azeem said. "We believe the elections were free and fair and everybody must accept the decision for the betterment of Pakistan."

Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, head of the PML-Q, said that his party accepted the result and "will sit on opposition benches".

With counting in from 257 constituencies, PML-Q and its allies had taken a total of 57 seats.

The Pakistan People's party (PPP), the party of Benazir Bhutto, the opposition leader assassinated in December last year, had 85 seats, according to preliminary results.

The Pakistan Muslim League (PML-N) faction of Nawaz Sharif, a former prime minister, had 65 seats, with PML-Q, smaller parties and independents taking the rest, state television said.

Full results were not expected until late on Tuesday or early Wednesday.

Musharraf threatened

Musharraf has said he would work with the new government regardless of which party wins.

Pakistan vote: At a glance

- Pakistan has 81 million registered voters, out of a population of 160 million people.

- Voters choose 272 members of the National Assembly, or lower house of parliament, for a five-year term.

- Another 60 seats are reserved for women and 10 for religious minorities.

- There are 106 parties, 15 of which were represented in the last parliament.

- More than 60,000 polling stations were set up across the country.

- Key issues include restoration of a full civilian government, reinstatement of sacked judges, rising militancy, economy and high unemployment.

"I will give them full co-operation as president, whatever is my role," he said after voting in Rawalpindi.

But with the support of smaller groups and independent candidates, the opposition could now gain the two-thirds majority in parliament needed to impeach the president.

Musharraf's popularity suffered last year following his decision to impose emergency rule, purge the judiciary, jail political opponents and curtail press freedoms.

Musharraf has also supported the US in its so-called "war on terror", sanctioning Pakistani military operations against al-Qaeda and Taliban fighters in northwest Pakistan where it borders Afghanistan.

By contrast, Sharif and others have called for dialogue with the fighters and have criticised military operations in the area because of their impact on civilians.

Electoral violence

Opposition parties had feared the polls would be rigged, but analysts from Washington-based Strategic Forecasting said the elections "seem to have been decently free and fair".

Sarwar Bari, of the non-profit Free and Fair Elections Network, said his group's 20,000 election observers reported a voter turnout of about 35 per cent, the same as in the 1997 election and the lowest in Pakistan's history.

Ayaz Baig, the election commissioner in Punjab, estimated the turnout there to be at between 30 per cent and 40 per cent, slightly lower than in the 2002 election.

In Baluchistan and Sindh provinces, turnout was estimated at about 35 per cent, officials said.

Although fear and possible apathy kept millions of voters at home on Monday, Talat Hussein from AAJ TV said turnout was similar to previous years.

"Going by previous trends in Pakistan it is not that disappointing. At the end of the day, the voting did pick up and 42 per cent is not exactly a big disappointment," Hussein told Al Jazeera.

The PPP said 15 of its members had been killed and hundreds more injured in scattered violence "deliberately engineered to deter voters".

In northwest Pakistan on Tuesday, witnesses said more than 2,000 tribesmen blocked the main highway from Peshawar to the Afghan border, protesting that their favoured candidate had been defeated by electoral fraud.

At least 24 people were killed in election-related violence, mostly in Punjab province.

Alright!  Now Pakistan has an America-hating, pro-Taliban government with nukes!  Ain't that special!

-b0b
(...buy guns, buy gold!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #153 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Me:  What are we going to do?

Bush:  Same thing I do every night spanky.  Try to take over the world!

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #154 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Quote:
Alright!  Now Pakistan has an America-hating, pro-Taliban government with nukes!  Ain't that special!

So basically they've become just like every other country we've meddled in the affairs of.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #155 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Shhh stewie!

If you keep saying stuff like that people are going to start thinking some of this might be our fault...

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #156 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
I think we all need to put our heads in the sand.

-b0b
(...head in the sand, head in the sand!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #157 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Wait, if I bury your head in the sand...who is going to be left to bury mine?!?!

...flawed logic!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #158 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Pakistan blocks YouTube over cartoons
By Reuters
Published: February 24, 2008, 9:30 AM PST

ISLAMABAD--Pakistan ordered local Internet service providers to block access to the popular YouTube Web site because of cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad that have outraged many Muslims, an industry official said Sunday.

The cartoons, published in Danish newspapers in 2005 and again earlier this month, angered Muslims because of their depiction of the Prophet Mohammad.

"They asked us to ban it immediately...and the order says the ban will continue until further notice," said Wahaj-us-Siraj, convener of the Association of Pakistan Internet Service Providers.

Publication of the cartoons led to protests and rioting in many Muslim countries, including Pakistan, in which at least 50 people were killed and three Danish embassies attacked.

Several Danish newspapers reprinted one of the cartoons earlier this month after police in Copenhagen uncovered a plot by two Tunisians and a Dane of Moroccan origin to kill the cartoonist, sparking further protests around the world.

Attempts to access YouTube in Islamabad on Sunday were met with a generic error message saying the site was unavailable.

"Users are quite upset. They're screaming at ISPs which can't do anything," Siraj said.

"The government has valid reason for that, but they have to find a better way of doing it. If we continue blocking popular Web sites, people will stop using the Internet."

Bahaha, they blocked YouTube!  There will be rioting in the streets!  The rivers will run red with the blood of Pakistan's network engineers.

-b0b
(...should find the video in question.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #159 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 9:56am
Print Post  
I'm wondering what you guys think of this little blurb...

Quote:
US Congressman David Weldon (R., Florida), who visited Israel last week, said Israel should strike back at Gaza in one fell swoop. "During World War II," Weldon told the Makor Rishon newspaper, "the U.S. attacked Japan mercilessly. Despite the ethical problems, everyone now agrees that this caused Japan to surrender, thus saving many lives, including Japanese lives. This is the reason I think Israel should hit the Palestinians with one fell swoop, thus defeating them. Otherwise, this cruel situation of today will continue year after year, decade after decade."

"Just like parents have to protect their children," Weldon said, "a state must protect its citizens, especially those who are threatened such as those in Sderot. If a country would attack the U.S., I would support turning that country into dust. If it’s right for the U.S., it's right for Israel."

Do you think he has a point?  Personally, I would fully support Israel rocking Gaza back into the stone age (not that it would be a big step).  If you shoot rokcets at me, I'll shoot even bigger rockets back at you.

-b0b
(...discuss!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #160 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Can we just sell missiles to both sides?

Help with that pesky little deficit thing we have going on.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #161 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Can we just sell missiles to both sides?

What you mean do what we've been doing for the last 40 years?

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #162 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Free missiles for EVERYONE!

-b0b
(...best.  Idea.  Ever.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #163 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
If only everyone loved playing with tubular objects as much as jim.

Zing!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #164 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
It worked for Mario.  He was always playing with tubes, and look at how good he ended up.  He got friggin' loaded and got the princess.

-b0b
(...sorry, Mario, but the princess is in another castle.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Send TopicPrint