Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) 64-Bit OS? (Read 62888 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

64-Bit OS?
Nov 29th, 2007 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Out of curiosity, have any of you guys made the leap to a 64-bit operating system?

I'm planning on making the God-forsaken switch to Vista sometime next year so I can start working on my MCSE 2008 cert, and I think it might be a good time to transition to a native 64-bit operating system.

From what I've been reading, most manufacturers have finally released relatively stable 64-bit drivers, and Microsoft has correct the most egregious flaws with their 64-bit Vista implementation.

Briney, are any of your employer's toys running a 64-bit OS?

-b0b
(...wants to know if anyone has moved to the "dark side.")

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Re: 64-Bit OS?
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Both my systems are 64 bit.  Yes Mac, and my vista partition.

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 11:57am
Print Post  
I know you're running an oddball virtual install on a Macintrash, but have you run into any driver issues?  Have you noticed the infamous sound glitching that Vista is known for?

The first thing I'm going to do is disable the UAC "feature" in Vista.  That bugged the crap out of me in Vista RC2.

-b0b
(...foams at the mouth.)

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Well, I only have driver issues when I try to use VMware fusion to open my vista partition.  VMware only currently supports directX 8 something.  So most the time I just reboot and choose my vista partition.  Other wise I haven't had any problems with the system.  I haven't noticed any issues with my sound.
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2007 at 11:02pm by computerjuvenile »  

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Does UAC annoy the crap out of you, or is it just me?

-b0b
(...disabled it after the 4,316th warning.)

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:23am
Print Post  
I would only disable it on the root account.

WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Why not disable it?

How many people do you let use your computer?

I don't let anyone, that's why I invested in a trunk monkey to protect it.

AIM  
IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:41am
Print Post  
I don't know about you.  But some of my relatives especially a 4 year old brother have access to my computer.

WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:45am
Print Post  
UAC is completely and utterly pointless in a properly-administrated Active Directory domain.  If the PC is a member workstation in an AD domain administrated by somebody with half a brain, there is absolutely no reason to leave UAC enabled.

On a typical standalone home PC run by Ma and Pa Retard, then yes, UAC might prevent some malicious behavior from third parties.  That being said, Microsoft should have learned long ago that annoying pop-up warnings will simply be ignored by the average user.  After seeing a warning message for the thousandth time, they'll just click OK without even reading the message.  Can you blame them?  If clicking OK was the right choice the first 999 times, why would it be wrong the 1,000th time?

UAC also has a habit of popping up at the most inconvenient times.  Have you tried to play a network game under Vista yet?  Whenever the game calls on a secondary application for connectivity (for voice chat, server hosting, Internet game searches, etc.), UAC pops up a warning.  Do you know how annoying it is to have an application pop up in the middle of your game to warn you about completely safe activity?  Depending on what you're playing, your game will either minimize, lock up temporarily, or just crash entirely.  Thanks, Microsoft!

-b0b
(...LAME!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:46am
Print Post  
computerjuvenile wrote on Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:41am:
I don't know about you.  But some of my relatives especially a 4 year old brother have access to my computer.

Then lock your computer when you walk away.  Ctrl+Alt+Delete followed by the space bar.  How hard is that?

If it is really all that difficult, just enable the screen saver option to lock your PC after X minutes.

-b0b
(...problem solved without UAC.  Done!)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
I'm pretty sure there is a Windows XP Pro 64 bit version.

AIM  
IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #11 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
It's just a good idea not to use root all the time.  It just adds a bit of security to your system.

The xp 64 bit system I heard was really bad.  you have to keep on changing compatibility for programs.

WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Stick wrote on Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:21pm:
I'm pretty sure there is a Windows XP Pro 64 bit version.

There are two of them, actually.  The first was designed for i64 Itanium Itanic platforms and is no longer supported.  The newer version is for x64 (AMD/Intel) platforms.

From what I've heard, driver and application support for XP 64 is really scarce, even more so than Vista 64.  Moreover, there is no real reason for me to install a 64-bit OS if I stick with XP.

Depending on my finances in February when I build my new system, I might just stick with good ol' 32-bit XP for a couple months until I can afford my new drive array and a copy of Vista Ultimate 64.  That should give the platform a few more months to incubate before I make the plunge.

-b0b
(...can't wait until he can get his hands on a GeForce 9000 series card!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
computerjuvenile wrote on Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:33pm:
It's just a good idea not to use root all the time.  It just adds a bit of security to your system.

That's a very true tenet when dealing with something that needs to be reasonably secure.  For instance, as an AD domain administrator, you should have one account with basic administration privileges that you use for day-to-day work and one account with full-blown domain/enterprise administration capabilities.

When it comes to your workstation, however, there really is no reason to restrict reasonably intelligent individuals from administrative access.  As I stated earlier, UAC might be marginally useful for the average user, but for people like us, it's merely a pain in the butt.

"Do you want to open this file?"  Yes, I want to open the darn file, that's why I clicked on it!

I think the UAC warnings need three options: Yes, No, and Leave Me the Heck Alone.

-b0b
(...still hates UAC.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Well, I installed the 32-bit version of Vista last night.  I popped the new 500GB hard drive and 550w PSU into my existing rig and removed the RAID adapter, four 80GB SATA drives, the 431w PSU, and four pounds of dust.

After fighting like crazy for two hours to get my old Via KT880 motherboard to recognize the new SATA3 hard drive, I eventually had to give up and move the drive to the onboard ALi SATA RAID ports.  These are slower than the other two ports because they use a secondary chip instead of the KT880 Southbridge, but the difference seems to be negligible.  The Via KT880 just won't recognize the SATA3 drive, even when I use a jumper to force the drive into SATA1.5 compatibility mode.

I installed Vista Ultimate 32-bit so I could get an idea of how it runs on my old system before upgrading in February.  For what its worth, Vista itself seems to run fairly well.  I haven't installed any applications or games yet so I can't really comment on the difference in performance, but so far everything seems to be running smoothly.

I haven't tried out Windows Aero, Flip 3D, or BitLocker yet, so I'll comment on those later.  I'm really curious to see how big of an impact Aero and Flip3D have on system performance.

I did have a chance to play with ReadyBoost, though, and I have to say that it's a really cool technology.  ReadyBoost uses cheap USB flash drives as a form of secondary RAM.  Since flash drives have much higher access speeds than hard drives, ReadyBoost can cache files into a USB flash drive once RAM is full.  This results in faster application responsiveness.

I've got a brand spankin' new 4GB SDHC card that came with a USB flash drive that I bought for the Wii and my DVD player.  Of course, after I bought it, I found out that neither system supports SDHC, only the older SD standard.  ReadyBoost, here we come!

I've got a slightly different model with an annoying flashing blue LED that is brighter than the sun, but this is a pretty close match.

Once you insert the drive, you can select the ReadyBoost tab in the drive properties to turn the feature on and select how much space on the drive you want to dedicate.  This screenshot is stolen from some random website, but I've dedicated the entire 4GB to ReadyBoost.  I'll run some benchmarks with and without ReadyBoost later on to see how much it really helps.

I do have a few complaints, though.  First, Vista seems to thrash my processor like crazy.  I realize that my Athlon XP 3000+ is nowhere near the fastest processor on the market these days, but there's really no reason why an operating system with no applications running should be using 100% of a 2.164GHz processor.  It doesn't seem to be killing my system performance, though, so I'll have to wait and see how it affects applications and games.

On the other hand, Vista doesn't seem to be nearly as big a memory hog as most people complain about.  Again, I'll see if this changes once I enable Aero and Flip 3D.

Disk Defragmenter has been completely overhauled, and I can see both pros and cons with the new program.  On one hand, scheduling automatic defrags is much easier and can be done within the program, instead of using Task Scheduler.  On the other hand, you can no longer pull up a report of fragmentation before or after the scan, and you have no visual indicator of the progress of an ongoing scan.  That really blows, because you've got no idea how much of a scan has been completed!

As I suspected, UAC is still extraordinarily annoying.  I disabled it almost immediately.  Every time you try to do anything, I had to confirm it with UAC.  Delete an item off the start menu?  UAC!  Change your display properties?  UAC!  Defragment your hard drive?  UAC!  Please, tell me why it's necessary to use UAC to confirm a defragmentation?  Is Microsoft worried that some violent hacker is going to maliciously defragment everybody's hard drives?

-b0b
(...will definitely post more as he thinks of it.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #15 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 11:30am
Print Post  
ready-boost sounds pretty cool, I definitely would like to hear how that affects performance. I wonder if I could actually use that ram for rendering. Does it act as physical ram or just a faster virtual ram?

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #16 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
It's essentially a faster virtual cache/RAM.  Once your system hits the RAM limit, the OS starts paging out to L4 cache, which is usually the paging file on the hard drive.  With ReadyBoost, the faster USB drive becomes the L4 cache, and the hard drive page file becomes L5 cache.

• L1 Cache - On processor, runs at the core speed of the CPU.
  • L2 Cache - On die, runs at the speed of the FSB.
  • L3 Cache - RAM, runs at the speed of the bus, but with much higher latency.
  • L4 Cache - ReadyBoost, runs at USB 2.0 bus speed (480Mbps).
  • L5 Cache - Hard drive paging file, runs at the drive's transfer speed.

-b0b
(...the more you know.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #17 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks bob, its nice to see it organized like that.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #18 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
You wrote -bob twice, that counts as a mistake.  Me finding this thus gives me a point.

...so what is it now 1500 to 3?  I am going to catch you soon!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #19 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:53pm:
You wrote -bob twice, that counts as a mistake.

It wasn't a mistake, I simply wanted to be sure you knew who was posting that witty piece of information.

-b0b
(...fixed it anyway.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #20 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 8:50am
Print Post  
I finished getting the OS setup last night and I've reinstalled most of my applications.  I might be able to get some gaming done on Saturday, so I'll let you know how they play.

I tried out Aero and Flip 3D last night, and wasn't incredibly impressed by either.  I've gone back to the classic interface and classic start menu.  Windows 2000 never looked so good!

By the way, I haven't run into any driver issues.  The only piece of hardware I have that doesn't work is my craptastic flatbed scanner.  I bought it at Meijer about six years ago and the vendor doesn't even have a website, so I'm going to have to call it a loss.  I hardly use it anyway so it isn't a big deal.

-b0b
(...is downloading Half-Life 2 from Steam to try out tonight.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #21 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 8:23am
Print Post  
I just thought I'd mention that I got my first (and second, and third) blue screen of death last night on Vista.  That might be a new record for quickest BSoD on a new OS!

For some reason, Vista BSoD's when I try to install PCMark 2005.  That really sucks because I wanted to compare Vista's performance to XP's performance on the same machine.  Both times I tried to install PCMark 2005, the system crashed with a non-descript BSoD.

The third crash was my fault.  I downloaded Vista-compatible drivers for my Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty, and then tried to install the rest of the Soundblaster programs from the CD.  Apparently, the software on the CD doesn't work with the Vista drivers, so my machine blue-screened again when I rebooted.  It's good to know that safe mode is still in the same location...

Creative has replaced all of their X-Fi installation CD's with a Vista-compatible version.  If you bought an X-Fi before the CD was switched and you want to use Vista, you're pretty much screwed as far as Soundblaster applications are concerned.  Only the driver and a couple of programs are on the Creative website.

I did manage to find a copy of the Vista X-Fi CD on MiniNova, though, so I'm going to install everything else tonight.

Shame on Creative for not hosting the apps on their site, and shame on Microsoft for allowing Vista to BSoD so easily.  What happened to the improved HAL that was supposed to handle application crashes more gracefully?

-b0b
(...will post pics later.)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #22 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 11:36am
Print Post  
My friend at work just built his new rig and installed 64bit XP pro.  He said that he found all of his drivers just fine and everything is peachy.

He got a quad core Q6600, that's the cheapest one. Its paired with a 8800GTX.  He overclocked the system where the CPU is now running at 3.3GHz and its normally at 2.4.  His cooling is a high end Zalman fan heatsink.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #23 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Wow, that's a pretty decent overclock.  I'm also looking at a Q6600 and an 8800GTX, so it sounds like his rig is pretty similar to mine.  Has he said anything about performance yet?

-b0b
(...inquiring minds.)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #24 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Yea, he did.  He gave me some numbers but I can't recall them off the top of my head.  I will ask him tomorrow.

He's playing crysis and said he noticed a small lag spike once when he was in major combat but that is all.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #25 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
That's pretty impressive.  Crysis is an absolute juggernaut of a game when it comes to system resources.  It takes the average "gaming PC" and breaks it into tiny little pieces, making it run home to mommy while screaming like Briney a little girl.

There are a handful of games that I'm really looking forward to playing, including...

• Supreme Commander and expansion - I'm an RTS man at heart.
  • World in Conflict - Another RTS that looks excellent.
  • Neverwinter Nights 2 and expansion - I've owned the game for months, but can't play it on my current rig.
  • STALKER - Yeah, it's getting old, but I love Chernobyl and the game looks sweet.
  • BioShock - This game looks incredibly sweet.

There are a couple others, but those ones round out the top five.  I also want to play the new WarHammer 40k expansions, but I might wait until they hit the bargain bin.

-b0b
(...can't wait to play!)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #26 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
warhammer 40k was cool for a while but you have to play the same tactical way everytime or you will lose.  Kinda got boring....

AIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #27 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Why are you guys stuck on the 8800GTX?  Yes it is the best of the best, but it is also OMG expensive.  Why not spring for the 8800GT for half the price.  I have not found a game that it can't play yet.

(only tried crysis demo not full game)

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #28 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Because like you and I've always said...

The 'X' means better!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #29 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Yeah, it's kinda like I told Wes, the plus means better.

When I built the Bobulator IV (the first one with the ubercase), I bought a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus.  Wes rebuilt his PC at the same time and only opted for the Soyo K7V Dragon.  Guess what?  The plus really did mean better, and my system whooped the crap out of his.

Of course, that superior processor and graphics card might have had something to do with that, too.

-b0b
(...w00t!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #30 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Stick wrote on Dec 10th, 2007 at 3:25pm:
warhammer 40k was cool for a while but you have to play the same tactical way everytime or you will lose.  Kinda got boring....

I never felt that way with the Dark Crusade expansion.  Considering the expansion brought the total playable faction list up to seven (which is crazy for an RTS) and expanded the existing factions with new units and upgrades, I never played two games that were exactly alike.  I'm not even sure it'd be reasonably possible.

Of course, I tend to be a bit of a "turtle" when it comes to strategy games, whether they are turn based or real time.  I like to hole up in some forgotten corner of the map, create a massive defensive grid, and pour all of my time and resources into research.  Only when I've got the biggest and baddest units available do I start creating my Legion of Doom™.

The thing I like about Dawn of War and its sequels is the quick game play.  Even though I still tend to play defensively, it's impossible to really turtle in that game because your defensive options are limited and your opponents can field decent units very quickly.  In my experience, it's fairly rare that a multiplayer game against human opponents lasts more than an hour.

On another note, have you seen the new expansion that is in production?  After nearly four years, the third expansion is really starting to take shape.  Soulstorm will build on the campaign engine that was included in Dark Crusade, and will introduce two more races, the Dark Eldar and the Sisters of Battle.  The game will also (finally!) bring in airborne units, which should really make for some interesting battles.

You can read more here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/warhammer40000dawnofwarsoulstorm/news.html?s...

-b0b
(...is thinking about breaking out Dark Crusade when he gets home.)

Soulstorm.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #31 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Numbers from my co-worker's PC.

PCMark2005 - 9,000
3DMark2003 - 44,000
3DMark2005 - 20,000

He plays crysis with all maxed except anti-aliasing at 4x at 1600xXXXX i dont know what the new resolutions are for widescreens...

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #32 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Wow, that's pretty impressive.  Thanks for tracking down the numbers for me.  It's reassuring to know that I've picked out decent hardware.  How am I going to wait until March...

By the way, I played Dark Crusade when I got home last night and really enjoyed it.  I don't know how I skipped it!  The Necrons are darn near unstoppable once they get a couple Strategic Locations.

-b0b
(...would love to play some multiplayer one of these days.)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #33 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 10:48am
Print Post  
By March all the new nvidia 9xxx series will be out as well as the AMD quad core maybe even a new set of Intels. If you build the same rig in March, you may be getting some mid ranged hardware. Not that its a bad plan or anything...

I am also going to build a new system once I settle into my new job.

BTW I graduate on Saturday. BS in CS baby.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #34 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Stick wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 10:48am:
By March all the new nvidia 9xxx series will be out as well as the AMD quad core maybe even a new set of Intels. If you build the same rig in March, you may be getting some mid ranged hardware. Not that its a bad plan or anything...

Yeah, I'm actually thinking about buying an 8800GT and upgrading to a 9000 series GTX-equivalent later in the year when they drop down in price a bit (as they inevitably will).

I tend to do more RAM-intensive tasks than CPU-intensive tasks, so the Q6600 should be fine for me.  If there is a significant price drop in the next three months, I may go with the Q6850 instead.

Quote:
I am also going to build a new system once I settle into my new job.

Fantastic!  Once you get a new rig, we should be able to play some of the newer games that have hit the market.  Without a doubt, Unreal Tournament III is going to be on that list!

Quote:
BTW I graduate on Saturday. BS in CS baby.

Congratulations!  Do you have a job lined up already, or are you going to be looking for something?

-b0b
(...yeah!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #35 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Quote:
If there is a significant price drop in the next three months, I may go with the Q6850 instead.

I have had my Q6600 to 3.2GHz with no problems.  Just no reason for me to keep it there...even at stock 2.4GHz I have only hit 70% load running 2 games at once.  And if you are looking for an 8800GT and upgrade check out EVGA, they have a 90 day stepup program.  I have heard mixed reviews about them, but they have been great to me...

Congrats stick on graduating!  Though I still kinda miss college.  Smiley

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #36 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 11:31am
Print Post  
I typically only do a 10-15% overclock because I expect my equipment to last at least 2-3 years.  It never hurts to harness a little bit of untapped power, though.   Wink

I've read about EVGA's Step-Up program before, but I've heard a lot of questionable comments about their stock availability.  Besides, they don't cross-ship, so I'd have to send out my video card and wait for them to receive it before they shipped out the new one.  I'd probably be without a video card for at least a week, and that's not really an option. 

Since I built the Bobulator IV in summer 2001, I don't think it or its successors have ever been powered down for more than three consecutive hours.  Even when moving to a new place, the Bobulator is the last device to be powered down when leaving and the first device to be powered back up upon arrival.

-b0b
(...needs his computer!)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #37 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
I have an offer with a company in the Parkview Circle Technology Park or whatever its called.  The pay isn't quite what I expect but there is a chance that if the company grows I will grow with it quickly.  One benefit is finding something in Kalamazoo and I live right near there for now so it would be convenient. I'm just not sure where I could meet girls then...

I've had a bunch of calls from recruiting companies from the east side of the state but no real solid leads there.

Its time the LAN games got an upgrade eh?  With the new PC I would definitely get CoD4 as well.  It will be my work computer too so I'm thinking duel 22" monitors.

Stick
(overkill? absolutely...) Cool

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #38 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Call of Duty 4 is looking pretty sweet.  I wasn't a huge fan of Battlefield 2, but I'll definitely give CoD4 a try.  Don't get me wrong, BF2 was an excellent game, but it wasn't really my style.

Dual monitors, eh?  I wish I still had a crazy computer budget for stuff like that!  I'm sure those days will return... after the kids go off to college.   Embarrassed

-b0b
(...wowza.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #39 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
I've played through COD4 now and it still looks great on my 6400...granted I can run everything uber but I don't really care about shadows and all that.  It's a good game withe AI that's prob in the top 5 I've played against.  Still F.E.A.R. is number 1 for best AI.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #40 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Spanky,  what all did you put into your new rig?  You're running a Q6600 and an 8800GT, right?  What else did you pop in there?

-b0b
(...bets it is drool worthy.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #41 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 9:06am
Print Post  
For some reason newegg no longer lists my motherboard but I got this one: Mobo  That thing has a metric shit-ton of options for overclocking and whatnot.

I only went for 2gig of ram for now, seeing as I only had a 32bit OS to work with getting 4gig really wouldn't have helped that much.

As far as the processor, the Q6600 blew my freaking mind.  Going from an AMD 2600+ to this almost made me cry it was that much of a difference.  Though I am kind of sad that I never fully max it out.  I am thinking now i should have gone with the dual core, but oh well.

And yeah, the 8800GT is the best thing I feel I put into the computer.  I read a lot of bad reviews for this card because it was over heating.  This is due to bad drivers, the fan starts at 18% when the card is cold and ramps all the way up to 20% when it is blazing hot.  Well there must be a typo somewhere because 20!=100.  I set mine to always run at 65% fan and it has never hit 50C.  I ordered my card when they first were released I got a normal 600MHz one (ran at 625MHz?!) for $235.  The great thing is the 96+(which is 112...why don't they say 112?) stream proc 8800GTS 640M and the newer 8800GTS 512M barely beat this card at high resolutions.  At lower resolutions they are nearly identical.  Naturally the GTX and Ultra beat it, but I thought I would compare a few cards closer to its price range.

I really considered going SLI with the 8800GT, but after having one and being able to run any game I want at 1600X1200 (all my moniter does Sad ) there really is no need.  Yeah I could post huge 3d mark scores!  But you don't play 3d mark.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #42 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Well, 3DMark usually has some crappy little game built into it, so technically you could play 3DMark.

I had a hard time choosing between the nForce 680i chipset and the new Intel X38 chipset.  In my humble experience, nVidia's chipsets have always been crap, but they won't license SLI to anybody else so you're stuck with their crappy chipset if you want to run SLI.

I finally decided to go with the X38 chipset from Intel because of their performance and reliability gains over the 680i.  I'm too poor to pay for two graphics cards, and I'd rather just have one constantly updated top-end card than two mid-range cards that I could only replace every few years.

SLI just doesn't make any sense unless you've got money to burn.  The performance gains are tiny (10-20% usually) and not worth the extra cost, heat, or power consumption.

-b0b
(...would admittedly buy an SLI rig if he was a bajillionaire.)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #43 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Its funny, I'm hardly ever playing my 360 anymore with my limited time to play and the unwillingness to pay $100 for guitar hero. I can only imagine how niglected it will be when I have a new PC. Maybe I should just sell it.

From all this lazyness I should also get a workout bench  Tongue
My joints crack evertime I move, riggermortous is setting in...

AIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #44 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:19am
Print Post  
if you want to sell it let me know. which version of 360 is it?

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #45 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Quote:
My joints crack evertime I move, riggermortous is setting in...

They aren't supposed to do that?

Forget the workout crap, get a Wii instead!  I tried a few rounds of Wii boxing with some friends, he almost got me cause I couldn't lift my arms near the end.(I know you don't need to go through the full motions, but what's the fun in that?)

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #46 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:35am
Print Post  
I told you Wii was awesome!  You should definitely pick up Mario Strikers: Charged because it rocks your weak world.

Although Meredith and I love the Wii, I'm really starting to crave non-cutesy, non-party games.  The Wii is really lacking on that point.

Meredith has been hinting at wanting Katamari and DDR, so I bought her an XBox 360 Elite for Christmas with both of those games.  Shh, don't tell her!

I might pick up Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed for it eventually.  I prefer to play my FPS games on the PC (and all other games, for that matter) but those two look pretty sweet.  Blue Dragon is also supposed to be an excellent game, and probably the only decent XBox RPG.

-b0b
(...wonders what other games he should get?)

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #47 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:46am
Print Post  
You should pick up orange box.  I rented the game, and it's a lot of fun to play with. 

Half Life 2
Half Life 2 Episode 1
Half Life 2 Episode 2
Portals
Team Fortress 2

Portals is a lot of fun, but easily beaten. 

WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #48 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:54am
Print Post  
I will be picking up Orange Box - for the PC.  Anybody that buys Half-Life 2 for the XBox 360 while owning a decent PC is a Stalin-worshiping pinko communist.

I already own the Valve überpack from the Steam/Half-Life 2 release (remember the cool hat?) with all of the Half-Life mods, Half-Life 2, all of the CounterStrike mods and CounterStrike: Source, and Day of Defeat: Source.  I want to get both Half-Life 2 expansions, Team Fortress 2, and Portal so I'll probably buy the Orange Box at an after-Christmas sale.

-b0b
(...w00t.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #49 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 5:35pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #50 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 2:41am
Print Post  

And I'm spent!

X
(ahhhhh)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #51 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Wow sign me up for a brick-o-videocard.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #52 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Whatever happened to the Quad SLI solution nVidia released with Dell back in the day?  For what its worth, this is probably a last minute gimmick to keep up with ATI's Crossfire solution, which is supposed to offer four-card coprocessing at some point (although it will probably suck as much as everything else ATI has produced over the past two years).

Did you read the system specs?  1100 watt power supply minimum.  That's sheer craziness!

I'm glad to see that the 3-way solution offers some actual improvement over a two-card rig, but its definitely limited to the higher resolutions.  Based on the performance of the older four-card SLI and 3/4-card Crossfire, I really wasn't hoping for much. 

That said, the games were only truly improved by three-way SLI when the resolution was cranked to ridiculous levels (2560x1600), and how many people do you know that own a 30" monitor?  By the time 30" LCD's even start to make it into high-end gaming circles, the 8800 Ultra will have long since been replaced by the GeForce 9000 (or even 10000) series.

Some of the benchmarks seem to point out that nVidia still needs to do some work on their drivers, which is to be expected.  In Quake Wars, for instance, two 8800GTX's outperformed three 8800Ultras.  If I had just dropped $2,000+ on three top-end video cards, I'd be pretty upset if some punk with two mid-range video cards had a higher frame rate than me.

-b0b
(...will laugh if one 9000-series card outperforms all three 8800Ultras.)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #53 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 9:38am
Print Post  
That picture should be in the Funny Pictures thread.
It looks rediculous how big those cards are compared to the mobo.  Do you think they had a hard time keeping that mobo from flipping up because of the added weight on the bottom? lol

My 360 is the premium or platinum system, whichever is the 20GB $350 model.  You can actually hook the 360 into a windows mediacenter PC via ethernet and its just like having a mediacenter PC connected to your TV.  You can stream movies and all...  It also hooks into Media Player 11 if you dont have vista.  I couldn't get movies to play though...

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #54 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Actually, Stick, that's one of the big reason why I chose to get the XBox 360 for Meredith instead of a PS3.  I really want to stream content from my PC and server to our TV screen.  Meredith really wants to watch One Piece (an anime), but sitting around my green-tinted 19" monitor gets really old. 

Being able to stream video from Vista to the XBox will be excellent.  I just hope I don't have to re-encode everything to make it compatible.  Unfortunately, the new XVid and DivX implementations on the XBox 360 Dashboard don't support subtitles, so I won't be able to watch much of my anime...  Grr.

http://www.webtvwire.com/xbox-360-gets-divx-functionality-xbox-live-marketplace-...

For what its worth, nothing beats being able to watch Farting Preacher on the TV at a whim.

-b0b
(...score!)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #55 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:38am
Print Post  
I'm not sure about the windows media center formats but I was only able to get Windows based formats to stream through Media Player 11.
.WMA  .WMV  of course I didn't test them all.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #56 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Apparently, DivX and XVid only play through a separate dashboard option, not through the Windows Media Center extender.  Of course, I haven't played with it myself, so this is purely based on third-party reviews.  I'll be able to tell you more after Christmas.   Wink

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/xbox-360-divx%5Cxvid-test/xbox-360-divxxvid-playback-...

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #57 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:17am
Print Post  
if you want a real media center just get an xbox and hack it. browse from the xbox and play whatever is shared on your harddrives on the network. pictures, movies, anything except itunes music i think.

This way you dont have to go through windows media player which is evil.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #58 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Yeah, but who wants to buy an XBox and a mod chip and go through all of the trouble involved in soldering a billion tiny wires to the PCB?  If I was going to go through all that trouble, I'd just buy a laptop and a scan converter.

-b0b
(...already owns a scan converter, incidentally.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #59 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Or watch the videos stored on your computer on your freaking monitor!

...why am I the only one to come up with this solution?

green moniter?  Quit your bitchin.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #60 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I've got an even better solution.  Get a long KVM-quality DVI cable and a scan converter and run a line from your PC to your monitor.  It doesn't get any easier than that...

...unless you've got an über-TV with a DVI hookup built-in, in which case you don't need the scan converter.

-b0b
(...points out that one of the managers at work has such a TV in his office.)

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #61 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
You can install transcoder for your PC to enocde it on the spot for you.  You can run it from widows media center too.  That's what I use to do.  But it takes a lot of processor power.  You could try SUPER video encoder and manually change all of your file types, but then you would use the quality of .avi.  Sad

WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #62 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Yeah, but he is going to have a heart attack soon.  If you can make it into his will I say go for it.

AIM  
IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #63 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
haha.  My room mate has the modded xbox and its sweet.  The only problem, no HD movies.  Other than that, we watch ripped commercial free tv shows and movies daily.  Its nice.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #64 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
computerjuvenile wrote on Dec 14th, 2007 at 2:24pm:
You can install transcoder for your PC to enocde it on the spot for you.

It's been awhile since I've played with on-the-fly encoders, but it's been my experience that the videos played through them universally look like crap.  Not only is the image quality less than desirable, but there was a ton of lag and frame loss at random periods.

-b0b
(...may give it another try some day.)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #65 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
about the quad core SLI, it was still only running through two PCI-E slots where this would be three, so this might be better?

AIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #66 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Not sure, SLI only uses the extra processors, the memory data is copied and sent to all the cards.  So this would mean the CPU would have to send the same info to 3 adresses instead of 2 now.

Never know though, nvidea might pull out some trippy voodoo powers and make it work.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #67 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Ahh, that's true, I hadn't thought about that.  Of course, most multi-PCIe boards don't support PCIe x16 on all three ports.  The older stuff is mostly 1 x16 and 2 x8's, or worse yet, 1 x16 and two x4's.  The Intel X38 chipset I plan on buying supports full blown PCIe 1.0 x16 on all three slots, but even with that you only get PCIe 2.0 x16 on one slot.

Of course, the Intel chipset doesn't support nVidia's SLI anyway due to nVidia not offering the license, so it's really a moot point.

-b0b
(...and who the heck wants Crossfire, anyway?)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #68 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:46pm:
Never know though, nvidea might pull out some trippy voodoo powers and make it work.

That sentence is amazingly ironic when you consider that nVidia bought their SLI technology from a company called Voodoo.

-b0b
(...had to point that out.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #69 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
So I just thought I would point out that there is NO video overlay for the 8000 series Nvidia cards. Which sucks bad.

For those of you that dont know what that is, you can open a video player on one montor, and have that video fullscreened on another monitor or tv. this was great cause I could minimize the vid and keep working while it outputted to the tv. Especially handy when working in premiere... any video would just be automatically fullscreened over.

So now to watch stuff on the tv I have to have it set up as a video clone of the current monitor and fullscreen it... or full screen it on the tv but still not really be able to use my machine.

With all of the outputs of my card, why the balls would Nvidia take out functionality for something thats been there for as long as I can remember.  Especially since people are outputting to their HDtvs from their computer more!!

Annoying. I'm putting in my old card in addition to the new one just so I can do the video overlay.

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #70 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 9:11am
Print Post  
This sounds like a very serious problem briney, let me help you out.  First I need you to take one of your monitors and wrap it in bubble wrap.  Then I need you to put it in a box and mail it to me.  That should solve the problem you are having with two monitors.

...worth a try.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #71 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Come on, Briney, we know you're making the big bucks now.  Why don't you buy a Quadro?

-b0b
(...wants one.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #72 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Hey bob, what have you heard about XP SP3 vs Vista SP1?  For XP I have seen posts ranging from I want this to have my babies to it killed my dog.  Most people say they get a little better frame rates, but some games bsod.  But this is still beta, got any thoughts?

...also you can test the vista one.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #73 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
XP SP3 has been pushed back almost as many times as today's other topic, Duke Nukem Forever.

Microsoft has been really quiet about SP3, preferring to push Vista instead (which makes sense from a business perspective).  The only thing they've official said was that it would include some changes to Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 11.  Most likely, those two programs will be a required component of SP3.

Considering that XP has officially been replaced by Vista, I'm guessing SP3 will be more of a "patch rollup" than the massive service packs we're used to seeing for XP that bring new functionality.  It'll probably be a collection of all of the patches released thus far, along with IE7, WMP11, and the Windows Live application suite.

When it comes to Vista SP1, don't get too excited.  It contains all of the previous patches, along with a few small fixes.  The only big thing they've added that I'm even moderately interested in is support for BitLocker encryption of multiple volumes through the GUI.  You can only encrypt the boot volume through the GUI right now, and have to use the command line interface for the rest of the volumes.

Oh, and if you thought XP SP2 was big, Vista SP1 is going to run somewhere between 400MB and 600MB, depending on the version of Vista you're running.  You'll need around 5GB of swap space available for the installation.

I'll be testing XP SP3 sometime shortly after Christmas, so I'll let you know how it goes.  I'll probably test Vista SP1 in February, so if you're willing to wait, I'll review that too.

Personally, I'm getting sick of service packs.  In the last two weeks, Microsoft has published release candidates of Vista SP1 and XP SP3, along with final versions of Exchange 2007 SP1, Office 2007 SP1, and SharePoint 2007 SP1.  Do you know how long it takes me to test a single service pack on the variety of machines I'm responsible for and push it into production?

-b0b
(...for the love of God, stagger them!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #74 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Vista SP1 is going to run somewhere between 400MB and 600MB

I think I pooped a little...

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #75 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
You think you pooped a little?  I can't wait to see the faces of the Windows Update system administrators when the service pack goes gold and they have to support a million downloads at 500MB each in the first week alone.

-b0b
(...pities the foo.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #76 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Intel to delay launch of three 45nm quad-core CPUs on poor AMD performance
Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Wednesday 19 December 2007]

Intel has recently adjusted its product strategy and will postpone three 45nm quad-core CPUs that were originally scheduled to launch in January next year, according to sources at motherboard makers.

Intel has already notified its partners that it will push back the launch of the three CPUs to February or March next year, depending on AMD's schedule for triple-core and the upcoming Phenom CPUs.

Launching the CPUs now will not benefit Intel much in its battle with AMD, while they could cause damage to Intel's 65nm quad-core CPUs, therefore the company has decided it is in no rush to release new products until AMD is able to present more of a threat.

The three CPUs that Intel plans to delay are the Core 2 Quad Q9300, Q9450 and Q9550, added the sources.

Intel commented that its launch of 45nm quad-core CPUs for desktops is on track for first quarter 2008, but declined to disclose a specific time-frame.

Good job, AMD!  Thanks for dropping the ball!

AMD is so far behind the curve right now that Intel can not only delay their new products but jack up the prices on their existing products like crazy.  Have any of you priced out a QX9650 lately?  Holy mother of cheesecake...

-b0b
(...mmm, cheesecake!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #77 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
AMD is not god?   Hmm...well ok...if you say so.

X

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint