Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 79 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Game Thread! (Read 200415 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Game Thread!
Reply #180 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
This came out a few months ago, but I must have been asleep at the wheel.  It's a real, actual gameplay video from Duke Nukem Forever:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/226223.html

It actually looks pretty cool.  At this rate, it should be released about the same time as Briney's BFE video.

-b0b
(...will ROFL if DNF beats BFE OTD.)
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2008 at 11:23am by b0b »  

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #181 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Quote:
Sony to finally open its PS3 online universe tomorrow
By Tim Conneally, BetaNews
December 10, 2008, 9:40 AM

Today, Sony announced that its PlayStation 3 virtual world Home will be officially opened tomorrow, two years after it was initially announced. The free online service is the first console-based metaverse.

Creating a whole world for PlayStation 3 users is no small undertaking. First unveiled nearly two years ago, Sony's Home attempts to combine the online metaverse concept with the entertainment of console-based network gaming. Users create 3D avatars and home spaces where they can customize content, socialize, or play games.

After several delays, and the passing of E3 with no major announcements, the final rounds of the service's beta tests began in October. Home becomes available to all PS3 users as a free download from the PlayStation Store tomorrow, but will remain in beta, according to Sony.

The ultimate point behind creating the first virtual world for a console wasn't to compete with existing services like Second Life, or even to attract new users, according to SCEJ Vice President Junji Shoda. Like Microsoft's New Xbox Experience, Home is part of the gradual move toward a perpetually connected gaming environment for consoles.

Home opens on Thursday in Japan, Europe, and North America, and will be offered in eight languages with region-exclusive content and partners. In North America, for example, the service will launch with game-themed environments for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and Far Cry 2 spaces where users can gather and share information about those games. With partners Activision, Disney Eidos, Electronic Arts, Lucas Arts, THQ, and Ubisoft, spaces for the Warhawk, Resistance, Guitar Hero and SOCOM series will be available. In Europe, video content from Hexus TV and Eurogamer will be available.

Like other metaverses, not all content in Home will be free.

It'll be interesting to see if PSN Home gives XBox a run for the money.  I'm wondering just how stable the Home environment will be.  Who knows, this could be the coup PS3 needs to gain some market share.

-b0b
(...will download it, but only because its free.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #182 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Ya let me know how that is. We all had Home beta keys last year but I didn't have a ps3.

Bob how is fallout 3 going?

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #183 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
I think I've pretty much played it out for the time being.  I have a feeling it will be like Oblivion, and I'll get hooked on it four or five times before I finally put it away for good.  Honestly, I'm thinking about picking up Oblivion again once I get some time off for the holidays.

Have you had a chance to play Left 4 Dead yet?

-b0b
(...loved it.)
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2008 at 8:57pm by b0b »  

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #184 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 8:57pm
Print Post  

Speaking of Fallout 3, Bethesda just released a ton of screenshots for their upcoming downloadable content package Operation Anchorage.  It looks like it'll be fairly story-driven, like Shivering Isles for Oblivion.

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/568806/fallout-3/images/fallout-3-2008121010322198...

-b0b
(...new weapons, sweeeeet!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #185 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
It looks like Dragon Quest X will be a Wii exclusive.  Although DQ never had much market penetration outside of Japan until DQ8 (which sold 500,000 copies), it is tied with Final Fantasy in Japan for market share.  DQ has been a Sony-exclusive title since DQ5 on the original Playstation, so this is a break from tradition.

I've always enjoyed the Dragon Quest series, even though it is generally much more light-hearted than Final Fantasy and other similar Japanese RPG's.

-b0b
(...isn't sure what to think of this yet.)

Quote:
Square Enix to launch Dragon Quest IX for Y5,980
Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:32am EST

TOKYO, Dec 10 (Reuters) - Japanese game software maker Square Enix Holdings Co Ltd said on Wednesday it plans to launch the newest version of its popular "Dragon Quest" game series on March 28 for 5,980 yen ($64.73).

The blockbuster game is designed for Nintendo Co Ltd's DS handheld gear. It also said it is developing Dragon Quest X (Ten) for Nintendo's Wii game console.

Quote:
Breaking News: Dragon Quest X Confirmed For Wii
10th Dec 2008, Nintendo

Long awaited announcement let slip by Dragon Quest creator

At a Wednesday press conference in Tokyo, Dragon Quest creator Yuji Horii has let slip that the next Dragon Quest game, will be a Wii title.

Here is a snippet from a liveblog of the press conference:

14:25 -- Horii: "We're currently developing Dragon Quest X on Wii."
14:27 -- Nintendo president Satoru Iwata takes the stage with a huge smile on his face! Iwata: "Thanks very much for announcing Dragon Quest X on Wii!"

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #186 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 2:23am
Print Post  
It sounds like the new "Home" application on the PS3 blows chunks.  Here is Penny Arcade's take on it.

Quote:
The Beta for Playstation home is now available to everyone, and now you know what I know: this is what happens when your marketing department tries to make a game. Here is everything you need to understand about Home, if you should accidentally launch it from your XMB: press and hold the Playstation button in the center of your Dual-Shock or Sixaxis controller. From the menu that appears, select Quit.

There are things about Home that are simply beyond my understanding. Chief among these bizarre maneuvers is the idea that, when manufacturing their flimsy dystopia, they actually ported the pernicious notion of scarcity from our world into their digital one. This is like having the ability to shape being from non-being at the subatomic level, and the first thing you decide to make is AIDS.

If you approach an arcade machine and there is a person standing in front of it, you will not be able to play it. Likewise, if you see people bowling and think that bowling is something you might like to do, you probably wont be able to. Unable to play arcade games like Ice Breakers and Carriage Return the first several times we logged on, these games had begun to take on an epic stature in our minds. These were gushing fonts of liquid fun, habit-forming and dangerous - for the good of our virtual society, the supply had to be controlled. When we were finally able to play them, we learned that they were the equivalent of browser games.

There is nothing about the experience of using Home to suggest that you are actually moving through a single, contiguous environment. It is very clearly a handful of walled off zones, where you are confronted by incessant load screens in a desperate search for stimulation. From the moment you enter one of their ultrahygenic "amusement regions," it's clear that all life has been burned away. You get the sense that this is a place in which no interesting thing could ever happen.

There is already a growing school of Home apologetics, fostered by the same Order of Perpetual Masochism that lauded the rumble-free Sixaxis at launch and suggested, hilariously, that Lair and Heavenly Sword were videogames. They're under the impression that because something is free, this places it on some golden dais beyond censure. It's no virtue to give away something that no-one in their right mind would buy. Sony has no idea what this world is for, and that ambiguity infuses every simulated millimeter of it.

This is the terrible secret that roils beneath their false universe: it is nothing more than a cumbersome menu, a rampart over which you must hoist yourself to accomplish the most basic tasks.

I suppose that isn't entirely unexpected.  Sony is losing the current console war in a bad, bad way.  The sales numbers for November were entirely dismal. Nintendo had the best November sales in console history by pushing 2 million units, and the XBox 360 was a distant second but still managed to double PS3 sales.  If that's not bad enough, PS3 sales were 20% lower than November 2007, even though the price has dropped by 20%.  That would indicate that sale have peaked, which is a really bad thing for Sony.

-b0b
(...still has only one PS3 game after ten months of ownership.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #187 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
It has finally been confirmed that any hope of seeing Knights of the Old Republic 3 is dead,

Quote:
"There are a lot of reasons why we decided not to do KOTOR 3, and why we decided to do this as an MMO instead," said Nichols. "The unique aspect of storytelling, which is really differentiated for this game, is something the KOTOR franchise did very well, and we felt that just doing a single-player experience with a new KOTOR really misses the opportunity to take this out to a much wider audience."

That really is the weakest excuse I've ever heard.  Why don't they just admit that it's all about the money?

-b0b
(...yet we still get Saber Duels?  WTF?)
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2008 at 2:08pm by b0b »  

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #188 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
yea money money...theyll regret it if the mmo tanks.

Home blows uber chunks we tested it at work. We had this stupid thing last summer in closed beta and they still haven't even addressed the stupid userability (its a word) of the app. It's bland, its boring, I can't believe I have to wait in line to play something, its yet another Sony failure.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #189 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Electronic Arts Zaps Workforce
Mary Jane Irwin, 12.19.08, 12:40 PM EST

The video game maker will eliminate 1,000 jobs and close a development studio.

Electronic Arts is demonstrating that the videogames industry is not, as all believe, recession proof. After warning earlier this month that its sales next year would fall below expectations, Electronic Arts announced new details of its plans to reduce headcount and close studios.

Due to weaker-than-expected sales of its titles during the holiday shopping season, EA is increasing its layoffs to 10.0% of its worldwide workforce, eliminating 1,000 jobs; this is an expansion on its plan to reduce headcount by 6%, first announced in October. EA's shares rose 4.3%, or 72 cents, to $17.48 on Friday morning.

The company is also closing or consolidating nine of its offices. The team at the Vancouver, British Columbia-based Black Box, which was most recently responsible for the racing title “Need for Speed: Undercover” and the Wii skateboarding game “Skate It” will be moved into a nearby facility in Burnaby. Riccitiello called out the poor performance of “Need for Speed” in particular during a briefing earlier this month.

Black Box's move, said EA spokesperson Jeff Brown, was not punitive. And despite EA's decision to reduce the number of titles it has in production, it will still be making "Need for Speed." Stopping production, Brown said, "would be like Porsche discontinuing the 911." EA will be refocusing its efforts on producing only hit games, but it will still "be committed to taking creative risks and investing in new games."

The Redwood City, Calif.-based company has busily tried to reinvent itself as an innovative and creative company ever since John S. Riccitiellotook the reins (again) in 2007. So far the new mantra has not quite taken with the company or the market.

Electronic Arts expects the reductions to save it $120.0 million annually. In the near-term, the restructuring will cost between $55.0 million and $65.0 million. The plan will go into effect March 31, at the end of its fiscal year.

On Dec. 9, Electronic Arts announced it would miss its year-end guidance of $5.0 billion to $5.3 billion in revenues due to weaker than expected sales. Currently analysts estimated its fiscal year revenues would ring in at $4.7 billion, according to consensus compiled by Thompson Reuters.

You know, I don't think Electronic Arts could possibly do anything to make me hate them any more than I already do.  Screw these guys.

I love how the author of the article blames EA's woes on the recession.  Maybe the problem isn't the recession at all, but EA's failure to put out a genuinely unique and interesting game this year.  Every time they get their hands on a decent game, they manage to screw it up.

Spore is a perfect example.  Sure, it wasn't as good as it was hyped to be, but I was planning on buying a copy anyway.  Then I found out about the draconian DRM they were bundling with it, and I opted to buy something else instead.  Suck it, EA.

Mirror's Edge is another example of a classic EA faux pas.  They take a really unique gameplay concept and shoot it in the head by mating it with a muddled story, crappy combat, and a mu-huh-huch too short game length.  If they would have play-tested the title and spent more time and resources on level design instead of advertising, this game could have been another Portal (which I think it was desperately trying to replicate).

Outside of those examples, just about everything else put out by EA is yet-another-rehash.  Yet another Need for Speed, yet another Madden, blah blah blah.  I understand these are "safe" investments that will yield guaranteed returns, but I think gamers (including myself) are getting awfully darned tired of playing Shoot the Gun to Kill the Nazis IV: The Shootening or Someplace Tycoon VII: Build More Crap.

In short, EA needs to reward innovation if they want to remain competitive.  Otherwise, their stock will continue to tank, and they'll end up spinning off some of the developers they've been buying up over the last decade (which would be a very, very good thing).

I'll get off my soap box now.

-b0b
(...wonders what Briney thinks of all of this.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #190 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
How about all the Maddens and NBA crap they put out every bloody year.  HEY EA! EVER HEAR OF DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT YOU PR*CKS!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #191 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
You've got a point.  If a developer really wanted to stick it to EA, they could make a competing sports title and offer free "upgrades" via download for the next year or two that would include player and stat changes.  EA only releases a truly new title every few years anyway, with the intervening titles just consisting of gimmicky new features and roster changes.

Of course, last I knew, EA had exclusive contracts with most of hte major sports leagues, so this is likely just a pipe dream anyway.

-b0b
(...thinks sports games are retarded anyway.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #192 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Those studios mostly are not spun off, they are just closed. Thats whats not cool with publishers buying out developers. It happened to the 1st iteration of this company, which made the Descent series. THQ then phased them out. Sigh.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #193 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
MediaMaster wrote on Dec 19th, 2008 at 4:37pm:
Those studios mostly are not spun off, they are just closed. Thats whats not cool with publishers buying out developers. It happened to the 1st iteration of this company, which made the Descent series.

Please tell them that I love them unconditionally.

-b0b
(...will buy any Descent revival title, any time!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #194 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 12:22am
Print Post  
ha nice, ill let them know, The project lead then runs the game side of our company and one of the programmers is our lead programmer now. In a related note, Freespace and red faction spun out of the Descent series.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 79
Send TopicPrint