Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 79 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Game Thread! (Read 200489 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Game Thread!
Reply #195 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 2:41am
Print Post  
WTF is up with game installationss and patching?

I picked up a copy of the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion Storm of the Zehir tonight.  I haven't installed Neverwinter Nights 2 or the first expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, on the Bobulator since my rebuild early last year.  So, I set out to install the original game and both expansions, along with all of the patches required for each.

The first game required at least ten patches, requiring a solid hour through the automated patch utility.  Even the patch utility itself had to be patched.  The second expansion, oddly enough, backdated the patcher to its original version, which then had to be repatched.

Every patch was consecutive and the concept of a patch "rollup" to speed up the process is seemingly foreign to Bioware, and forced me to download easily 1GB of files.  This means that many files were updated over and over again, instead of just installing the newest version of the file one time.  Since the main executable was updated by every patch, it was overwritten 10-15 times!  How efficient is that?

Besides, if a single game requires ~23 patches, chances are good that it never should have shipped in the first place.  It's a game, not a frickin' operating system!  This whole "sell it, then make it work" concept in PC gaming has got to go.

Imagine the pain that would occur if Microsoft never released a service pack or patch rollup, and required you to install every patch for Windows XP individually.  You'd be patching your PC for days!

In short, it took nearly two and a half hours to install and patch Neverwinter Nights 2 and both expansions.  This game better be worth it!  This is why I buy virtually all of my PC games through Steam.  Not only do I not have to screw around with easily damaged discs and easily lost CD keys, but the patching process is done automatically and can be performed off-hours.  Atari announced NWN2 was coming to Steam in March of 2007, but it still isn't available and they haven't mentioned anything since.

-b0b
(...is still patching!)
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2009 at 9:30am by b0b »  

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #196 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Trying playing an MMO again.

The first time I reinstalled Everquest 2 I patched for 5 hours.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #197 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Yeah, but I expect an MMO to be patched regularly.  It's not only a much bigger world where "sploits" must be patched immediately, but the user base demands at least occasional content updates/additions. 

For the most part, MMO's don't get patched 23 times because they were shipped prematurely (Age of Conan not withstanding).  They get patched 2,000 times because new content is being added, or some script kiddies found an exploit to take advantage of that needs to be fixed immediately.  It's a very different environment from an offline game that is expected to work relatively well out the door.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect a game as complex as today's blockbusters to be flawless.  All of the beta testing in the world isn't going to vet a game as thoroughly as the retail release.  That said, the vendor should be fixing critical and glaringly obvious problems after the product is sitting on the shelf (i.e. game-breaking bugs or broken quests).

-b0b
(...did finally get into the game, by the way.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #198 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Feds note gaming DRM woes: FTC to hold town hall meeting
By Ben Kuchera | Published: January 06, 2009 - 07:10PM CT

2008 may become known as the year of digital rights management, thanks in no small part to EA's bringing the issue front and center with Spore and the ensuing backlash. These days gamers want to know what kind of DRM a game employs before they make a purchase, and for many people the inclusion of SecuROM means a lost sale. All of the sound and fury surrounding the issue has gotten the attention of the Federal Trade Commission, and the government agency is planning on holding a town hall meeting devoted to the subject of DRM on March 25. 

The official page describes the meeting and its aim. "Digital rights management (DRM) refers to technologies typically used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, and copyright holders to attempt to control how consumers access and use media and entertainment content," the FTC explains. "Among other issues, the workshop will address the need to improve disclosures to consumers about DRM limitations."

The agenda includes demonstrations of DRM-related technology, panel discussions about how these technologies affect consumers, legal issues surrounding DRM, and discussions on the potential need for government involvement to protect consumers. 

You can get involved, as well. "The Commission invites interested parties to submit requests to be panelists and to recommend other topics for discussion. The requests should be submitted electronically to drmtownhall@ftc.gov by January 30, 2009....The Commission will select panelists based on their expertise and on the need to represent a range of views." If you would simply like to have your voice heard you can submit comments or original research as well. This is an excellent opportunity to make your voice heard on this matter, and to explain your feelings on the state of DRM in the gaming industry.

Is this a matter that deserves government attention? Absolutely. Having standards for disclosure of what exactly you're installing with your software, along with easily available tools to remove those programs, would go a long way toward keeping publishers honest about what is shipping with our games.

A recent class-action lawsuit filed against EA is indicative of the problem: "Consumers are given no notices whatsoever that the FREE trial version of [Spore] includes Digital Rights Management technology... Consumers are given no control, rights, or options over SecuROM," the suit alleges. "The program cannot be completely uninstalled." The suit lists some of the potential side-effects of having the program installed on a system, including disruption of fire walls and "complete operating system failure."

Too often, customers have no clear picture of what else they may be installing onto their computer when they buy a game, or how those programs could affect the day-to-day use of that computer. There is no disclosure, no accountability, and very little education going on around the issue of DRM and its related technologies. 

It's likely the discussion will be lively, with both publishers and consumer rights associations weighing in. The core issue is a simple one, however: consumers deserve to know what they're installing, and exactly what it does. It's looking increasingly likely that consumers may need the FTC's help to make sure what happens during software installations becomes as transparent and open as possible. 

The town hall meeting will take place at the University of Washington School of Law, and will be free and open to the public, no registration required.

Although I doubt much will come from this, I hope it leads to better labeling on games (if nothing else).  If I purchase a retail copy or digital download of a game, I most certainly expect to know what is getting installed along with the game.  As a consumer, I have every right to know what is going to be installed with the game before I even make the purchase.

-b0b
(...StarForce and SecuROM in particular!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #199 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I agree...SecuROM is the equivalent of ordering and paying for a 100 foot long sub and only getting to eat 3 inches of it before they take it back.

X
(3" shout out to Briney's dangle!)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #200 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Quote:
Gone, baby, gone: 1up sold, EGM killed, staff promptly fired
By Michael Thompson | Published: January 07, 2009 - 12:42PM CT

It's been no secret that Ziff Davis has been looking to sell 1up.com and its associated video game publications for quite some time. Rumors that the magazine publisher was shopping its video game publications around have been circulating for approximately two years; at one time it was even reported that Dell would be acquiring 1up.com. While that turned out to be false, Ziff Davis finally succeeded in unloading 1up to Hearst-owned UGO Network, whereupon things took a definite turn for worse.

The sale, it was announced, would bring 1UP.com, Mycheats.com, Gametab.com, and GameVideos.com under UGO's control. In the official announcement, UGO CEO J Moses made it sound like his company wouldn't actually be changing too much about 1up: "The acquisition of 1UP, with its authentic voice, tenured editorial personalities and bustling user community, allows us to expand our base of quality content and represents a major step forward in UGO's mission to become the leader in the games space." The announcement also stated that 1up would, "stand beside UGO as a flagship brand." A few hours later, though, it was revealed that this was far from the truth, as Ziff Davis seemed intent on thoroughly gutting its online publications before it changed hands.

Even though Ziff Davis CEO Jason Young claimed—via an internal e-mail sent to his employees shortly after the sale was announced—that, "many of our employees will travel with this business and become part of the UGO team," it seems that this was not to be. Gamasutra received some inside information that, at roughly the same time, a large percentage of Ziff Davis' Game Group suddenly found itself unemployed. According to various reports, 30 members of the editorial, podcast, and video production staff was promptly told that it was fired. The detailed list of those who are now jobless is rather staggering: this is well beyond a corporate bloodbath, it's a scorched-earth policy with only a few survivors.

Adding another nail to the coffin was the simultaneous announcement that Ziff Davis would be shutting down production on its popular Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine, which has been in production for nearly twenty years: this month's issue will be its last. "With demand for print continuing to decline amongst both advertisers and readers," Young said in his email, "and the content being produced by 1UP no longer available for use in the publication, it simply did not make sense for us to move forward with this business any longer."

When asked about the massive layoffs, 1up site director Sam Kennedy told MTV Multiplayer the answers lay with his former bosses. "Honestly, questions like that have to go to Ziff Davis at this point," said Kennedy. "All I can say to that is UGO held onto as many people as they could to run the business going forward and [kept] a lot of all-star key players."

To say this news is staggering is to put it lightly. 1up has been one of the major players in the industry of video game journalism since it was launched in 2003, and it managed to survive for quite some time in spite of the deaths of several excellent sibling magazines like GMR, Official U.S. Playstation Magazine, and Computer Gaming World. Meanwhile, the fact that Ziff Davis is resorting to cost-cutting measures like these implies that things may be far worse at the magazine publisher than has been let known: while no one expected things to be pretty after the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, it seems safe to say that no one saw this coming, either. 

BIG SLOPPY TEARS!

1Up.com was one of few commercially-viable sites for hardcore gamers.  Their reviews were harsh but fair, and they didn't pull any punches with games produced by their sponsors.  That's probably one of the reasons why they're going down the tubes.  Of course, their most popular venue by far was their virtually unmatched podcasts, which probably cost them much more money than it brought in.  It's hard to get any advertising revenue from a podcast.

The real tragedy, though, is the loss of EGM.  I have several issues of EGM from the late 80's, featuring such "awesome" game systems as the TurboGrafx 16 and Sega Master system.  Later issues vaunted the awesomeness of the upcoming Sega 32X (which ended up sucking), the TurboGrafx CD (virtually impossible to find), and the Sega Neptune (never released).

The only other loss of a gaming outlet that could make me this sad is PC Accelerator (PCXL).  Long live the combination of scantilly-clad women and hot new video games!

-b0b
(...pours a 40 on the ground in their memory.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #201 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 9:47am
Print Post  
PXCL's last issue i saw on the newsstands and cried a little.

All it said on the jet black cover was:

It's over.

man that was bad.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #202 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
I remember that Briney, I saw you go through all five stages of grief in 5 minutes.  Denial was my favorite - "Ha Ha *nervous laugher* these guys are funny.  They always do stuff like this."  Then the tears.

It's just sad that Hearst now owns ANOTHER part of a great media complex.  Yellow journalism never died...it just changed colors.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #203 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
I still have the last several issues of PC Accelerator.  Its one of few magazines I ever subscribed to.  I remember opening the bag it came in and seeing that same black cover.  So sad.

Did you see the special PCXL edition that came out in September of 2007?  I nearly screamed with glee when I saw it on the newsstand at the airport when Mere and I were flying out to Disney World for our honeymoon.  It was supposed to be the rebirth of PCXL in a "quarterly" format, but it was the only issue that was ever published.

In good ol' PCXL format, the cover article was all about the Frag Dolls.

-b0b
(...wants more!)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #204 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
I have subscribed to EGM since I was in 7th grade.  I have several tubs full of EGM magazines and for awhile EGM2 magazines.

I frankly am devastated to learn of its demise =/  However I did see it coming for a long time now.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #205 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Quote:
ELYRIA, Ohio – Although a teenager's obsession with a violent video game may have warped his sense of reality, the boy is guilty of murdering his mother and wounding his father after they took "Halo 3" away from him, a judge ruled Monday.

"I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents they would be dead forever," Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge said.

Nonetheless, Burge rejected the defense attorneys' argument that Petric, 17, was not guilty by reason of insanity.

The defense didn't contest that Petric shot his parents in October 2007 after they took the game away from him, but insisted that the teen's youth and addiction made him less responsible.

Petric may have been addicted, but the evidence also showed he planned the crime for weeks, said Burge, who found the teenager guilty of aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder and other charges.

Tried as an adult, Petric faces a maximum possible penalty of life in prison without parole. The judge didn't set a sentencing date.

The teen's mother, Susan Petric, 43, died of a gunshot wound to the head. Her husband, Mark Petric, a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, also was shot in the head but survived.

After the verdict was announced, Petric turned to look at his father seated behind him in the courtroom. Mark Petric, who previously said he has forgiven his son, gave an encouraging nod.

Mark Petric and other relatives left the court without comment.

Prosecutors said Petric planned to kill his parents because he was angry that his father would not allow him to play the video game, in which players shoot alien monsters that have taken over the Earth.

On the night of the shooting, Petric used his father's key to open a lockbox and remove a 9 mm handgun and the game.

Mark Petric testified that his son came into the room and asked: "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you." He testified that he expected a pleasant surprise. Then his head went numb from the gunshot.

Deputy prosecuting attorney Anthony Cillo argued during the trial that the teenager had planned to make it appear to be a murder-suicide by putting the gun in his father's hand.

Defense Attorney James Kersey said that when the teenager fled the grisly scene, he only took one item with him: the "Halo 3" game.

Bungie LLC, once part of Microsoft, developed the Xbox 360-exclusive Halo 3, and Microsoft owns the game's intellectual property. Microsoft declined to comment beyond a statement: "We are aware of the situation and it is a tragic case."

It's a sad commentary when a kid would kill his own mother for Halo 3.

Unreal Tournament?  Maybe.  Oblivion?  Sure.  Mass Effect?  Understandable.  But Halo 3?  That's just sick and twisted.

-b0b
(...hopes the judge teabagged him.)
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:10pm by b0b »  

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #206 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
What the fuck is wrong with people? Seriously

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #207 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
And how is Halo 3 considered violent?  Oh no...purple blood and you kill things that look like puppies!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #208 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 8:39am
Print Post  
The game console sales numbers for 2008 are finally in, and it looks like Nintendo dominated the competition by an even greater degree than anyone imagined.

The Wii sold 10.18 million units, and DS moved 9.95 million more.  The XBox 360 came in a really, really distant third place with 4.74 million, and the PS3 and PSP both moved approximately 3.5 million.  Ouch.

The top ten selling games really bring that number home.  The top four titles were all Wii games (Wii Play, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl).  The PS3 only had one top-ten title, and that was the multi-platform Grand Theft Auto IV, which undersold the XBox 360 version by about half.  Interestingly, the number ten title was Mario Kart DS, which came out over three years ago.

At this point, I think Sony is going to have an incredibly difficult time getting the PS3 back on track.  Their hardware and software sales numbers are so far behind XBox and Wii that they'll have to pay out the butt to get any more exclusive titles.  At this point, I think its time to start working on the PS4 in the hopes of reforging their reputation in the next console generation.

You can get the full story with a bunch of pretty charts here.

-b0b
(...loves charts.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #209 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 10:33am
Print Post  
I really really wish the Wii fad would die a horrible death. Nintendo only cares about making money. They stick with safe titles that are already proven to make money. The only successful games are Nintendo released anyway. Third party Wii games stink terribly.

Most of people i know with a wii just let it gather dust until friends come over anyway. Other than that they go play their Xbox or ps3's where the REAL games are.

pfft.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 79
Send TopicPrint