Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 79 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Game Thread! (Read 199900 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Game Thread!
Reply #360 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
More E3 goodness!

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Shank

Rayman Origins

Child of Eden

Project Dust

Portal 2

I have to say, these trailers were really surprising.  Zelda: Skyward Sword looked surprisingly bland, while Kirby's Epic Yarn and Shank looked surprisingly gorgeous.  I love the art direction that both of those titles are taking.  I would like to see more gameplay from Shank, though, to see just how well that graphical style looks during extended play.

Rayman Origins looks like yet another campy Rayman title, but Project Dust looks somewhat promising.  The producer of Another World is working on Project Dust, so I'm somewhat psyched to see where they go with it.

Portal 2, of course, looks absolutely amazing.  That said, I'm a total Valve fanboy (and I've been replaying Half-Life 2 lately), so take that with a pinch of salt.  I'm anxiously awaiting the November 2nd release date!

-b0b
(...w00t!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #361 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
I wish I could say Nintendo would fall like their suckling child Sega.  My proof are these horrendous games at E3.  Heck I even like the concept for Epic Mickey...but that and Kirby "Epic" Yawn (see what I did there) seem like a rehash of Mario Is Missing and 3d Mario and a bit of Little Big Disappointment...I mean Planet.

However, Nintendo with their Wii system has open the market to the untapped consumers everyone wants. Those that don't play games, aka the casual gamers, the new gamers, the older folks, the adults who have never picked up a controller in their entire life, and party goers.

These untapped markets, as long as Nintendo will coddle to them, will do well. Because the controls suck, there are no "real" games, and no 3rd part support...Nintendo deserves to fall. Seriously, go to any store and look at the games and tell me one game that is a real game that could appeal to the hardcore gamers? Ya, none...whatsoever.

Please, Nintend...just make one game that I can point to and say, "Yes, I'd break my 26 year and counting pledge of never touching a Wii because I only want to touch real game console"...and FIX YOUR CONTROLS!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #362 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
X wrote on Jun 18th, 2010 at 3:50pm:
Seriously, go to any store and look at the games and tell me one game that is a real game that could appeal to the hardcore gamers? Ya, none...whatsoever.

Here are a handful of Wii titles that I personally found very enjoyable.

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • WarioWare: Smooth Moves
  • Mario Strikers Charged

I'm not sure what your definition of "hardcore gamer" is, but I'm pretty "hardcore" if you ask me.

-b0b
(...pwn3d.  Next!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #363 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
    * The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    * Super Mario Galaxy
    * Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    * Mario Kart Wii
    * New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    * Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    * WarioWare: Smooth Moves
    * Mario Strikers Charged

Let's look at these games:

Zelda and Metroid Prime sequels and the rest are Mario games.  Nintendo is just remaking old crap we've all bought in 1993.  Where are the FPSs, the RPGs, the RTSs?  Games that don't look like a leprechaun threw up rainbow puke on a TV.  Where are the games for the gamers who want more M rating and something with a coherent storyline that doesn't even a Princess being put to sleep or taken away?  Nintendo just can't hold up anymore and has stopped being unique and creative.  I'm sure some of these games are fun...but like Hollywood they are just remakes and sequels.

X

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #364 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
microsoft = cool games
sony = look our machine can do everything!
nintendo = cash machine... or Hey! let's repackage a gamecube with the same regurgitated franchises and oooo motion controllers!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #365 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Don't get me wrong, I'm a PC gamer at heart and I don't hold any special love for the Wii.  That said, Nintendo has two game systems on the market right now that are practically printing cash.  I'm also a little tired of Yet Another Mario Game™, but if I were running Nintendo today, I'd be walking the exact same line as the current administration.

I would also offer Square Enix a million billion kajillion dollars to make another Chrono Trigger sequel on my platform.

-b0b
(...but that's just me.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #366 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
It looks like Interplay has finally gotten off their collective butts and put together a website for the Fallout MMO.  I'm not a fan of MMOs, but I do love me some Fallout!

http://www.fallout-on-line.com/

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #367 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
I think once I get my new rig and Star Wars TOR comes out...I might fall to the dark side...*sigh*...of an MMO!

AHHHH

X

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #368 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Regarding the fallout mmo:

Interplay is just basically doing their part to avoid giving up online rights of Fallout to Bethesda.  Screw interplay, until recently they were just a couple of lawyers with lots of IP.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #369 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I'll wait until I see some actual content before I believe that Interplay actually plans on doing anything internally with the IP.

If we want to see any real content from Interplay, we'll be waiting until the sun collapses into a small, dark Walnut.  In the meantime, Valve released a metric buttload of new Portal videos:

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/142/14237322/vids_1.html

Some of the new gameplay features look really sweet, and I'm looking forward to several more frustrating hours of Portal goodness in the near future!

-b0b
(...meant to post this last week.  Oops.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #370 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 10:59am
Print Post  

Bioware has officially announced Dragon Age II and it appears to be slated for 2011.  I loved Dragon Age and played the heck out of it, and I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel!

This seems like a surprisingly quick turn-around for such a massive game, especially considering how long the original Dragon Age was in development.  Bioware hasn't failed me yet, though, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt!

-b0b
(...squeeeeeal!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #371 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Yea but since they've done all their tool development, all thats needed is the army of content creators to go do their thing, and some graphics dudes to do some minor graphics upgrades, and they in business!

I can't wait as well, even tho i havent finished the first one yet. Im almost to the end and its been a great rebirth of the bioware epics

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #372 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 3:01am
Print Post  
http://hellmode.com/2010/08/05/on-morality-and-making-choices-matter-in-video-ga...

A good article with plenty of examples of morality in video games.  Eric and I talk about this a lot.  We both agree that we like games who have a neutral morality stance but allows you to make your choices.  If I want to kill good guy 1 but not good guy 2, then I shouldn't get light side and dark side points that add a little to my stats; it should effect me and my character as a choice I have to deal with.

A good article with good examples and some good dicussion in the comments section...any thoughts from this crowd?

X

IP Logged

Ironman
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #373 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Personally, I enjoy games that present moral choices, but make no judgment (by executing obvious "moral" consequences).  Each choice would simply allows the world to continue as if it were real life, with unexpected twists and character reactions.  The world of the game and the consequences of choice is completely designed by its programmers and I don't want is a social commentary hidden within the gaming experience. The good/evil bar from Mass effect, Kotor, and Fable is atrocious and pigeonholes decisions into boring adolescent conceptions of good and evil.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #374 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Ironman, I absolutely agree.  Bioware themselves have admitted to the shortcomings of the good/evil bar.  It bears very little resemblance to real life because it restricts character development to a purely two-dimensional path.  The character is either good or evil or somewhere directly in between.  There is no freedom to develop a more complex character that sits outside of that scale.

I think Dragon Age was a huge step in the right direction.  The "morality scale" is completely hidden from the player and the consequences of actions are believably limited to those NPCs that could realistically know about those actions.  For instance, if I commit a crime in a human city, the guards there will react negatively toward me in the future.  However, there is no central morality scale, so guards in a dwarven city won't react negatively toward me because they simply aren't aware of the crime.  This makes a lot more sense then KotOR/Fable/Oblivion/etc's "aura" that follows characters wherever they go.

Admittedly, these systems are incredibly complex.  The good/evil bar is a very easy way to determine how an NPC should react toward a character because only a single variable needs to be monitored.  With a game like Dragon Age, hundreds of variables need to be recorded to determine how individual NPCs or sets of NPCs will react to a character's prior actions.

-b0b
(...wonders what Briney thinks about this.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 79
Send TopicPrint