Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 79 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Game Thread! (Read 200349 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Game Thread!
Reply #375 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 8:42am
Print Post  
My copy of StarCraft II finally arrived yesterday.  This is the first retail video game I've purchased since Sins of a Solar Empire was released nearly three years ago.  I was hesitant to buy a retail game since I'm so hopelessly addicted to digital distribution (namely Steam), but I guess StarCraft II is a worthy exception.

Since this sequel has been twelve years in the making and my first retail PC game purchase in several years, I decided to splurge and buy the collector's edition.  I've been increasingly disappointed by collector's/limited editions on console over the past few years since they seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper.  With StarCraft II, though, I think the extra money was entirely worthwhile:

The first thing I noticed about the package was the size and weight.  I threw this thing on the scale and it weighed in at a whopping 5.2lbs.  That's a lot of gaming goodness!

The contents did not disappoint, either.  The collector's edition came with a beautiful full-size, hardcover art book.  I'm a big fan of art books since they seem to add a lot of flavor to the game world.  The behind-the-scenes pics really show the love Blizzard poured into this title.

The "dog tag" toward the left-center of the screen is a 2GB USB stick.  It comes loaded with a copy of StarCraft and the Brood War expansion, the strategy guides for both, and a couple other goodies.  The USB key has a metal shell and is very heavily constructed.  If you need a heavy-duty USB key, this is the one for the job!

The pack also came with a behind-the-scenes DVD.  These have been standard fare in collector's editions since Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete was released for the PSX.  I've never been a big fan of these discs, but I'll probably check this one out anyway.  Blizzard has a habit of exceeding my expectations.

The game also came with a comic book and a copy of the soundtrack, but I haven't opened either of them yet.  All in all, I was thoroughly impressed with the quality and contents of the package.  I'll post some thoughts about the gameplay later.

-b0b
(...might be Korean.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #376 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Hit me up with your RealID info b0b.  I can talk to you from WoW or SC2 if I'm online =p

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #377 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 1:10am
Print Post  
This is my first time on Battle.Net since 2002 or so, so forgive the n00b question, but is my RealID the e-mail address I sign in with?  If so, it's JRogers@TWNCommunications.Net.

-b0b
(...gets enough spam anyway, so screw it.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #378 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 10:11am
Print Post  
It is indeed the email you sign in with.  Giving a person your email will allow them to friend request you, and if you accept it will show you on my friends list as long as you are playing at Battle.net game....will even tell you the server or character they are playing on in WoW.

Pretty neat, but it shows your real name so only give it to friends you trust or know in real life.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #379 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
I sent you an invite!  Have you completed the single player portion of SC2 yet?  I swear, this game is like crack.  I really want to play some multiplayer, but I want to complete the single player game before I move into the practice league.  I'm nearing the end of the single player game, but I still need to repeat several maps to get some of the optional objectives.

-b0b
(...rambles.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #380 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 2:14am
Print Post  
Quote:
Mac Steam prompts OSX graphics update
Apple gamers catching up
19 August, 2010
Twitter Facebook Digg Delicious Stumbleupon email comment Print Favourite Zoom Out Font Zoom In Font
Mac gamers got a massive boost when online gaming hub Steam started supporting the platform a few months ago.

The arrival of the online service, which allowed Mac-toting gamers to play the same games as their PC brethren, in some cases simultaneously, created a great deal of debate between the two camps, with the PC crowd pillorying Mac fans for the relatively poor performance of their expensive hardware.

Now it seems that Apple has got the message and has provided a graphics update for OS X Snow Leopard which will go some way towards closing the gap between the two platforms.

"When we launched Steam on Mac OS X back in May, there was a lot of buzz about performance, particularly relative to Windows running on the same machine," says a staement from Steam bosses. "While we met our goal of making sure all of our customers had an acceptable gaming experience at launch, we have spent a large chunk of effort in the intervening months working with Apple and their GPU vendors to close the performance gap with Windows."

Steam reckons a combination of changes to its own code and the latest graphics update available from Apple today removes a variety of software bottlenecks, resulting in significant graphics performance enhancements for Mac gamers.

In addition to low-level implementation changes which have improved performance across the board, Apple has also removed some implementation inefficiencies which allow Steam to improve visual quality, most notably in the area of GPU occlusion queries.

Since the latest update to 10.6.4, Steam has been able to properly impliment 'occlusion query' which is a GPU-based mechanism which allows OpenGL to draw convincing lighting effects, particularly when a light source is obscured by in-game ojects.

"A given light source may be partly or wholly occluded by other geometry in the scene and we use the occlusion query to determine how occluded it is. The percentage of a given light source's screen area which is actually visible is used to scale the intensity of an additive glow sprite which is drawn over the frame without any z-buffering," waffled the techies from Steam.

Steam reckons the joint effort, which also includes improvements in the way the GPU deals with floating point calculations as well as unclogging a number of CPU bottlenecks, provides frame rate improvements anywhere between 15 and 120 per cent

Steam reckons that these latest improvements are just the beginning, with plenty of further tweaks on the cards (pun intended).

"We have been able to measure performance improvements with the latest software update, but we are anticipating even more speedups if Apple implements the uniform_buffer_object extension and GLSL 1.3 in a future update. With these additional features, we will be able to sidestep this particular CPU bottleneck, allowing us to win back a bunch of CPU time and, ultimately, performance."

The gaming outfit is reporting dramatic performance improvements on iMac (Late 2009 and Mid 2010), Mac mini (Early 2009 and Mid 2010), Mac Pro (Early 2009), MacBook (Early 2009 and Mid 2010) and MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) and MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010) models. Older systems are generally already operating at the limits of the hardware, and Steam says it's unlikely that any significant performance improvements can be achieved in the future.

In conclusion, Steam said, "We're very excited about the performance improvements that Apple and the GPU vendors have been able to deliver this summer and we are working with them to further improve performance."

The Snow Leopard Graphics Update is detailed here and is available through Software Update under the Apple menu.

There are lots of juicy technical details from Steam here if that sort of thing gets your motor running.

This is good news on so many fronts.  This is good for PC gamers in that it shows there is a changing market out there that can produce a profit for those willing to invest again in the system that begs for video games.  This is good for Mac users in that you finally get to play kewl games like SMAC finally and your system will actually be updated and improved without throwing away your iMac and force you to try and find the same color to match your drapes.   Plus this is great for Steam in that it gives them more power of the market to make changes and pick up profits and other gaming markets!

X
(kind of a big deal)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #381 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
I was looking at old LAN pics today and thought I'd share a few of my favorites. If you've got any awesome LAN pics laying around on your hard drive, post 'em!

I guess we'll get things started with a picture of Briney... or two.

Whatever happened to this thing, Briney?

Briney with low disk space, despite the 47 hard drives in his system.  It's blurry because Briney was trying to wrestle the camera away from me at the time.

Check out Briney's monitor... ha!

El Brando, looking particularly evil because of my crappy digital camera.

Oh Jutty, where art thou?

Lapper battle!  Great for portability, horrible for frame rate!

This is what my network used to look like... (and I still have this thing somewhere!)

Shizza!  Anybody have any idea what he's up to these days?

This picture is absolutely dying for a Photoshop!

Stewie, proving that Briney doesn't hold the market on odd expressions...

Ha!  Suck it, Ironman!  I'm pretty sure our kill ratio was 25:1 in your favor, but still... you have to enjoy the little victories!

Alright, it's not a LAN picture, but I came across this at the same time and it's always good for a laugh.

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #382 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Better be careful or Adam's mommy, who's the President of the school board...will take away all the computers in the school because of you!

X
(Really said by him!)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #383 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Ahahahaha, the daisy chain photo...oh  man I'd forgot about that thing.

Man some of those pictures are old, i forgot how different I looked back then.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #384 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Duke Nukem Forever is back: coming to both consoles and PC
By Ben Kuchera | Last updated 14 minutes ago

The news of an upcoming announcement at PAX, followed by a tweet that showed the image of a flying pig. These were the hints pointed at a momentous occasion in gaming history: Duke Nukem Forever will see release late this year, or maybe next year, on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. Gearbox Software will be taking over development from the now-defunct 3D Realms.

After the studio's closing, litigation began between 3D Realms and Take-Two Interactive, the publisher of Duke Nukem Forever. According to the Wall Street Journal, the suits have now been settled and neither side was willing to discuss terms. The game has not sat still, however:

According to Pitchford, Gearbox began finishing “Duke Nukem Forever” in late 2009. “Clearly the game hadn’t been finished at 3D Realms but a lot of content had been created,” he says. “The approach and investment and process at 3D Realms didn’t quite make it and it cracked at the end. With Gearbox Software we brought all those pieces together. It’s the game it was meant to be.”

The game is actually playable at PAX, for both the press and the general public. If you're there and you get to play, send in your report. We'd love to hear what it's like to finally put your hands on it.

If the release slips into 2011, we won't exactly be shocked.

I'll believe it when I see it.  That said, I still can't help but to be a weeeee bit excited!

-b0b
(...is fresh out of bubble gum.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #385 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Word of warning from your local MMO crazy Geek.

STAY AWAY from Final Fantasy 14 Online - game is terrible beyond what I can express through the written word.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #386 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Care to expand on that?

For what it's worth, I always thought Final Fantasy 11 looked incredibly boring, but a couple of my friends managed to play it for awhile.

-b0b
(...still thinks naming it Final Fantasy # is gay.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #387 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
The interface is terrible, and has been experiencing severe lag for months now (and not been fixed).  I'm talk a good 3 second delay on your mouse movement.  And no, it's not just my computer.

The game is ok content wise, but it's levelling system and classes are borderline ridiculous.  They have an axe warrior, and a sword warrior, and a lance warrior...etc etc....ridiculous in this modern age of MMOs.

On top of that one of the neat things about FF11 was that it stuck to the old system of "work your ass off to get levels and gear".  FF14 has taken the World of Warcraft approach and made the game over easy so that they can reel in the casual gamers.  While I commend them on the good business decision, it makes for a pretty lame MMO.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #388 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 9:58pm
Print Post  

Happy 15th birthday, PlayStation!  Makes you feel a bit old, doesn't it?

Any particularly fond memories for you guys?

-b0b
(...Bushido Blade, Final Fantasy VII, and Final Fantasy Tactics!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #389 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 7:24am
Print Post  
The Playstation was the first system I bought myself...with my very FIRST paycheck from de-tasselling corn.  I got a crappy $12 game with it and my favorite game for the system Twisted Metal!

X
("Got a lot of fine memories of that dog" - Indiana Jones)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 79
Send TopicPrint