Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 79 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Game Thread! (Read 200642 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Game Thread!
Reply #390 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 10:34am
Print Post  
I had that exact same experience, Stewie.  My first detasseling paycheck (a whopping $180 I think) went toward the purchase of my PlayStation.  I still have demo disc that came with it somewhere.

Shortly after I bought it, Pizza Hut ran a promotion where you could get one of four demo discs with a pizza delivery.  The discs were pretty much on par with what you'd get in a gaming magazine.  Those discs introduced me to two of my favorite PSX titles, the fighting game Bloody Roar and seriously underrated platformer MediEvil.

-b0b
(...good times.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #391 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Oh man...MediEvil was amazing.  I got the demo in a PSX Underground magazine...one of the first free mags that I signed up for on the world wide web.  I only got to play 4 minutes of it so it was a race to see how far into the game I could get.

Anyone have a ROM of that game?

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #392 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Civilization V

If you love Civ, get it now...best one of the series hands down!

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #393 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
I pre-ordered a couple of copies of the deluxe edition for Mere and I, but sadly we haven't had a chance to play yet.  Once we get back home tonight, I fully intend to fire up a game.  Good thing I don't have to work tomorrow!

-b0b
(...Civ, the ultimate sleep killer.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #394 - Sep 27th, 2010 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
I've played through twice now.  Did a Conquest Victory the first time and a Culture Victory the second play through.  Both ways of winning were extremely fun and had me playing for hours on end haha.  I must say I started on the lowest difficulty and recomend it for the first couple play throughs.  They have changed the playing mechanics around a lot and it takes some getting used to.  I did however, turn the difficulty up for the second game.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #395 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Just hit 700 titles on Steam, but don't have a single hour of play time registered over the past two weeks.  Sad. 

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #396 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
I just have fun on Steam clicking on a game and seeing if you own it.  So far I'm 0 for 345

X

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #397 - Sep 29th, 2010 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
You guys have probably heard of minecraft by now...

so heres a very nerdy sounding guy who built the USS enterprise to scale in the game.

http://www.geekologie.com/2010/09/dedication_you_have_it_guy_mak.php

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #398 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.  Ars Technica had a story yesterday that described how the guy pulled it off.  It definitely looks like it was an incredibly complex process.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/09/the-true-story-behind-the-amazing-min...

-b0b
(...kudos!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #399 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 7:02am
Print Post  
LEFT 4 DEAD 1 AND 2 on Steam for $10.19!!!!

I can sacrifice a night out for that price!

Does anyone know how Steam can offer these discounts?  Seriously.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #400 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Valve has reported in the past the significant temporary price cuts have resulted in sales boosts on the order of 30,000%.  This is a case of "volume versus margin" in action.

-b0b
(...is going to pick up a copy of L4D2 for Mere tonight.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #401 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
With the awesome technology at my hands...I decided to play Half-Life again.  Although it's pretty fun, esp. for its time there are a few issues I have with it:

1) Was anyone else underwhelmed by the ending?  Choose either path and it leads to a few credits and then nothing...doesn't even take you to the beginning screen.

2) Nothing is really explained.  What were you doing?  Didn't you learn from your counterpart in Doom that opening a portal to Hell is bad?  Why is the big baddie...a giant baby with a crystal in his head flaps?

3) Really why is this game even called Half-Life?  If it's just a techy sounding name why not Tachyon Field or Erlenmeyer Flask?

4) The assault rifle is total underpowered and sucks for accuracy; compounded that the soldiers attacking you (again, for no good reason) has some great body armor.

This one kind of exists on the good side of the isle for me but a lot of it still has to do with nostalgia.  Anyone else?

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #402 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 11:27am
Print Post  
I replayed Half-Life and Half-Life 2 a few months back.  The first part of Half-Life was excellent, but the entire Xen trip was as dumb as ever.  I didn't enjoy Xen when I first played Half-Life in the late 90s, and I still don't enjoy it now.  It's just not my cup of tea.

If you want to be really crazy, go for the straight-up Half-Life marathon.  Opposing Force was an excellent expansion and added several new weapons that I seem to recall "felt" much more powerful.  Blue Shift wasn't bad, and it really gives you insight into Barney's background.  That's helpful in understanding some of Barney's dialogue in the sequel.  The high definition pack really cleaned up the character and weapon models, but the plot wasn't exactly overwhelming.

Of course, you also have to play Half-Life 2 and the Episode 1/2 expansions.  This is where Valve really hit their stride.  Half-Life 2 and both expansion are absolutely incredible works of art.  The graphics, the plot, the setting, and the set pieces are all really top notch.  I've played through those three titles more often than any other game in my collection, with the sole exception of Chrono Trigger.

-b0b
(...might go play right now, in fact.)

IP Logged

Ironman
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #403 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
For no good reason at all, I will attempt to rebut the criticism:

1) A lone mild mannered scientist single-handedly invades an alien dimension in a climactic battle to save the world. Then, you are approached by the mysterious "G" man in a seemingly man-made "interdimension" who then informs you that there are yet bigger things at hand and gives you an ultimatum: Join him or perish.  Yeah, he didn't get the girl, but what more could there be?

2) Perhaps some parts of the game were "unexplained" in order to add mystery to the story and add to the roleplaying experience of a scientist who found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. (btw, in the beginning, they weren't trying to open a portal a la Doom, instead the portal was an inadvertent consequence of routine testing)

3) Well, Gordon Freeman doesn't want to end up with a Half-Life...   

4) Perhaps it was designed to be a close range weapon.  There were many other weapons that had decent range, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, that's what I think of it.  Maybe I would agree with you more if I played it now, or perhaps our taste in games is just irreconcilably different.  I dunno  Grin

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #404 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Ironman wrote on Oct 8th, 2010 at 2:05pm:
For no good reason at all, I will attempt to rebut the criticism:

2) Perhaps some parts of the game were "unexplained" in order to add mystery to the story and add to the roleplaying experience of a scientist who found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."

I agree completely on the mystery aspect.  I think it is fairly clear the Marc Laidlaw (the writer) intentionally left Half-Life very open ended.  I believe the best stories from any medium are those that leave the audience with some unanswered questions.  Worlds that are left open to interpretation tend to have a lot more staying power compared to those that are served up on a plate with no enigma at all.

Besides, it makes for an easy sequel!

Quote:
3) Well, Gordon Freeman doesn't want to end up with a Half-Life...

*groooooan*

-b0b
(...definitely needs some Half-Life now.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 79
Send TopicPrint