Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 79 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Game Thread! (Read 200181 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Game Thread!
Reply #405 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You will never play it: Gran Turismo 5 delayed, again
By Andrew Webster | Last updated about 2 hours ago

You didn't really think you were going to play Gran Turismo 5 in November, did you?

The oft-delayed racer, originally unveiled way back in 2006, has been pushed back yet again and will miss its intended November 2 release date. According to the PlayStation Blog, the game won't be coming out at the beginning of next month, but it will still be ready in time for the holidays. Not that we have any reason to doubt that, of course.

No specific reason was given for the delay, other than developer Polyphony's ever-insistent desire to create a "perfect" racing experience. At this past E3, producer Kazunori Yamauchi revealed the incredible level of detail that is going into the game, going so far as to faithfully reproduce the graffiti found on the Nürburgring track. The game will also be available in 3D, though early demos were less than impressive.

No specific new date was given for release, with Sony simply saying we'll hear something in the "near future."

If Duke Nukem: Forever beats this out the gate, I will have a brain aneurysm. 

-b0b
(...thinks it will still come out before Half-Life 2: Episode 3.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #406 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 9:48am
Print Post  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq4Y7ztznKc&feature=player_embedded

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Cinematic Trailer.

Pretty fucking epic.

PS:  Bob how the fuck do I embed a youtube video on these damn forums?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #407 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Embed it using the "Insert Media" button above, n00bsauce.  Either that, or just embed the link using the media tags, like this:

Code
Select All
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq4Y7ztznKc[/media] 

-b0b
(...pancakes!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #408 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 1:13pm
Print Post  

Happy 25th birthday, Nintendo Entertainment System!

I have fond memories of the NES.  My sister got an NES for Christmas when I was four years old, so I grew up with the "classics" like Super Mario Bros., Bayou Billy, and Paper Boy.  I ended up buying that NES from her many years later for $5.00, and still have it to this day.  Just thinking about it makes me want to break out Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge or Super Mario Bros. 3.

-b0b
(...good times!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #409 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I was one of the last people in school to get one.  I was probably in the 4th grade when my dad got one for Christmas from his mom/my grandma.  I want to say that it came with, or my grandma included with it, Knight Rider which was kind of a bad game and getting past the 1st level was always hard.

I remember renting games (and renting the movie Tron every other time) like Battle Toads and Robot Baseball Wars or killing my brother at RBI Baseball.

But my game of choice was Super Mario Brothers 3.  I don't know how we did what we did without the internet or Nintendo Power magazine.  How were we able to find all those secrets?  The magic whistles or the coin boats?  I still have intends in my hands from the controller and pushing A to swim through those stupid, aggravating water levels.  Remember too, this was a time before memory cards (other than a few games like Zelda) so when you sat down you had to play through at least the first 4 levels in the first world to get the magic whistle.  Or you just wanted to beat everything.  It took some time, esp. with one TV in the house and homework and dinner looming in the background to challenge your time.

A lot of fine memories of blowing into containers and beating the sides to get it to work!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #410 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
X wrote on Oct 18th, 2010 at 5:52pm:
I want to say that it came with, or my grandma included with it, Knight Rider which was kind of a bad game and getting past the 1st level was always hard.

I also had (and still have!) Knight Rider, and I have the exact same memory you do.  It was the coolest idea for a game, but it was ridiculously, frustratingly, controller-breakingly hard.  Bayou Billy was the same way.  I don't think I've ever felt such a sense of accomplishment merely from reaching the second level in all the years since!

-b0b
(...w00t!)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #411 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
I tried the stupid insert media button.  Didn't work...must have copied the URL incorrectly or some nonsense.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #412 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 9:15pm
Print Post  

Three more hours, ladies!

I pre-ordered my copy last week and pre-loaded the game over the weekend.  I'm tempted to call in sick dead tomorrow so I can start playing at midnight, but I'm pretty sure that's against the rules.

Oh well, I might be able to get in an hour or two tomorrow night!

-b0b
(...can't wait until Saturday for some all-day-long gaming goodness!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #413 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Yeah, we are going to have to have you come in on Saturday...yeah.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #414 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
I got to play a full hour tonight, and I came away satisfied thus far.  It's fairly obvious right off the bat that Fallout: New Vegas didn't move too far away from its roots in Fallout 3.  The overall graphic design and a lot of individual elements like sound effects, weapons, NPCs, bad guys, and inventory items are direct carryovers.  That's a bit disappointing, but I'm still enjoying myself so far.

Hopefully I'll get to climb back into the saddle tomorrow night for more Fallout fun!

-b0b
(...is up way past his bed time.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #415 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 7:14am
Print Post  
I heard that it was full of bugs?  Did you experience any issues/problems?

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #416 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
The review I read (on Ars Technica) stated the game was fairly buggy, and this is definitely par for the course with Obsidian.  Their games are often incredibly bug-ridden, with Neverwinter Nights 2 and Knights of the Old Republic 2 standing out as glaring examples.  It doesn't help when you pair a developer known for buggy games with an engine that has an equally bad reputation for stability issues.

In my limited play time last night, I only ran into one issue in which an enemy fell partially through the map.  His head was above ground level, but the rest of his body was obscured.  He was unable to move and I couldn't loot his corpse after the coup de grace.

Meredith is playing the XBox 360 version (same as the Ars Technica reviewer) and said she experienced a game freeze that forced her to jump out to the dashboard and restart the game.  It's nice to see that consoles are experiencing the same problems PCs usually get stuck with!

-b0b
(...will comment in greater detail after playing a bit more.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #417 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
I wonder how much harder it is to patch a console version than a PC?

The good thing to know is that the list for temporary fixes is out there and since there is a list of needed permanent fixes should be done, esp. when you have Steam able to probably put a few more screws to developers.  If I had the capital and the knowledge, I would love to compete with Steam.  I'm surprised at their prices, support, and absolutely everything in the face of really the only competition being brick and mortar stores!

X
(God bless capitalism!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #418 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Steam has a fair number of competitors in the digital distribution market, but none of them come close to Steam in terms of market share, library, or services.  I've got a couple of titles on Impulse, all of which are Impulse-exclusives that were developed by Impulse's owner, Stardock.  The only thing Impulse really has going for it is that applications can be purchased in addition to games.  That's a nice feature, but I can see why Valve doesn't want to branch out of games and game-related products.

Other vendors like Good Old Games have a niche, and it seems to work for them.  As the name implies, Good Old Games specializes in selling older titles, most of which have been updated to improve functionality with newer operating systems.  I'd like to see Valve increase its selection of older titles and do more to ensure compatibility with modern platforms.  I've got a couple of Steam titles that won't run on the Bobulator because of incompatibilities with Windows 7, 64-bit operating systems in general, or certain hardware specs (more than 2GB of RAM, for instance).  Some of these, like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines are excellent titles and would undoubtedly turn a profit if the license-holder would spend a few bucks to have these titles patched.  This would often require implementing a minor workaround that could be done by a junior developer in a matter of minutes.

There are a ton of old titles I'd gladly throw down $5 to $10 for.  Neverwinter Nights, the Descent titles, Tyrian, and the Jazz Jackrabbit series all come to mind.

-b0b
(...finishes his rant.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #419 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
^^^ I did not know that.  Thanks for that info!  And I agree with you, esp. with the older games.  Maybe they could team up with DOSBox creators that "dumbs" down your computer, in the software, to play older games...Manhunter or Hugo Adventures anyone?  Police Quest?!

X

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 79
Send TopicPrint