Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 79 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Game Thread! (Read 200233 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Game Thread!
Reply #540 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
I saw Briney playing again this morning, so I hopped in and played through the tutorial and a couple single player games.  The level 5 sniper rifle rocks your face.

Next time you guys play, shoot me a Steam message.  I'll be in Indianapolis this week on a business trip, so I'll be stuck in a hotel for a few nights.

-b0b
(...w00t!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #541 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 2:29pm
Print Post  

26,610 damage on the soaker, and 6,468 damage per second.  Not bad at all!

I've found it beneficial in the late-game to quick-switch between the sniper rifle and the assault rifle.  When the sniper rifle runs out of ammo, I switch to the assault rifle and lob two grenades.  I then switch back to the sniper rifle which has miraculously reloaded itself.  If your aim is good, you can get ~3,200 x4 damage with the level 6 sniper rifle and ~6,000 x2 damage with the level 6 assault rifle grenades in a tight crowd.

Have you guys come across any decent strategies?

Also, I see what Stewie is saying about endless games.  I got through wave 40 at 100% core health before I threw in the towel.  I'm sure you guys have gone a lot further, but I don't have the attention span for that!   Cheesy

-b0b
(...thinks it's a great title.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #542 - Aug 5th, 2011 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Hey Briney, have you guys had a chance to play with this Euclideon stuff yet?  It looks amazing, but it also sounds like a pile of marketing...

http://wimp.com/gamesrealistic/

-b0b
(...wouldn't know the difference.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #543 - Aug 5th, 2011 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Ha we play this at work cause the guys voice is so annoyingly condescending. Also this tech is just fancy voxels, which have been around for a while (minecraft) 

The drawbacks to this tech and you can see in the demo:

No animation:
Moving "billions" of atoms like that in a manner fluid enough to fool the eye is a monumental task.

Dynamic lighting:
Can this system employ all these sweet lighting effects that people have come to expect of their games.

Each point is stored with its position and color value. Can they store reflectivity, transparency, and glossiness? Then we would be getting some good effects. Taking a scan of a pretty rock that's scanned in a dry, evenly lit environment does not make that a cool looking rock in a rainy scene.

Instancing: Most of those points in that scene had to be instanced, which is why the "island" looked so repetitive.

Storage:
Having literally trillions of points of unique geometry is a mind boggling amount of information. I saw someones back of the envelope computation putting it at petabytes of info if each "atom" is a byte of information. I imagine their engine would cull out points that we would not see. At 30 meters it could only draw a point every centimeter because the eye wouldn't notice because of the resolution of the screen image.

But still, that information, whether or not its in realtime, would have to be stored.

Content creation:

Creating a totally unique island at that resolution would cost a TON of money. That is so much artist creation time. A photo-realistic character modeled from start to finish can take a good artist 16-20 days. Doing square kilometers? Better hire a Chinese 3d army.

Also this guy seems to think "more polygons" sell games. I don't look at a game and say: "man this game has 10% more polygons that that other game... I'm sold!"

It's much much more.

So in conclusion:

This guy is prolly drumming up investor excitement for his product. Its very cool for visualization purposes, and it definitely has merit for some parts of some games.... but creating an entire game with this technology is not feasible. Maybe when DNA computing hits or something.

So yea, haven't played with it, its cool, but it won't be used in Call of Duty MW4 anytime soon

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #544 - Aug 5th, 2011 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Also, I missed your sanctum post... we need to play!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #545 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Briney, I hope you don't mind, but I cross-posted your comment anonymously to AR15.com.  Thanks for the incredibly thorough and detailed response.  In particular, your comments on storage and IO made a ton of sense.  It sounds like even top-notch occlusion isn't going to make that feasible any time in the foreseeable future.

Regarding Sanctum, I'm definitely up for a game.  If you have some free time and you see me on Steam, send me a message and we'll play.

-b0b
(...loved it.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #546 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
I was playing Supreme Commander 2 today and was reminded of our usual LAN party shenanigans when I launched 40 tactical missiles at my opponent.  Nothing says "friendship" like a nuclear winter.

Anyone up for a late summer LAN?

-b0b
(...thinks it's go time.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #547 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Yes, We should have one. I would love to host, but I'm in Canton... soo it'd be up to you guys. Also, i wouldnt mind playing some SC2 with you bob, i have it as well.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #548 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Oh, and a new Counterstrike title is on the way:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1800/

-b0b
(...points out that it's a third party developer.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #549 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Having the LAN in canton would work for me!

Although, with how much bob bitched about just bringing his computer down stairs I kind of doubt him showing up.

I also have a fold out couch if someone needs to crash after a LAN in canton...just saying.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #550 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I also have a fold out couch if someone needs to crash after a LAN in canton...just saying.

Spanky, your powers of seduction are slipping.  Next time at least don't put my glass of water in the bottle of rohypnol like you did last time!

I'd be up for a LAN at your place Brine-dog!  If we can make it like 3 weeks or more advance in plans, I can pretty much get any day off since the chick that makes my schedule for work pretty much loves me.

Let me know!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #551 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Yay Patrick and Craig! Although Craig has it easy... lol

I've got room for crashing, etc. September or October sometime sound good for folk?

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #552 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Hopefully I'll have most of my work-related travel out of the way by early September, so I'm good.  Just give me a date and I'll work it out!

-b0b
(...w00t!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #553 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 11:40am
Print Post  
I played the demo of Warhammer 40,000L Space Marine this morning and was quite impressed.  It definitely has a Gears of War feel, but it's definitely Warhammer through and through.

Here are a couple of screenshots...

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #554 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Has anyone picked up Dead Island yet?  It got mediocre reviews, but it looks like a fun title.  I'm looking for a way to kill some time on the road this week.

-b0b
(...might pick up Space Marine instead.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 79
Send TopicPrint