Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 79 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Game Thread! (Read 200161 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Game Thread!
Reply #570 - Oct 1st, 2011 at 11:27am
Print Post  
It's nice to see Origin is working about as well as I expected.  When I tried to launch Battlelog, I saw this:

Once I finally got in, my reservation for a server kept timing out.  It's fun to wait five minutes to get into a game, just to have your reservation time out before you can actually get into the server.

Once I finally got into a server, the game exited and told me I needed to update my drivers to the latest nVidia beta release.  Great.  Oddly enough, it then allowed me into the game anyway.  So much for "mandatory" update, eh?

Once I got into the game, it looked great, but the controls were horrible.  You can't update your controls unless you are alive and playing.  You can't change them before you start the game, while you're dead, etc.  I hope they get that straightened out before launch day.  Also, on a side note, you can't map a bunch of keys.  I usually map Mouse 4 (left side button) to reload, and that wasn't an optional key in BF3.

I guess that's why this is a beta, right?

-b0b
(...grr!)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #571 - Oct 1st, 2011 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
The Battlefield 3 Beta on the PS3 is equally as dumb.

The control sensitivity is set VERY low, to the point of being a pain in the ass, and the HUD is about as unfriendly to read as any I have ever seen.

Who makes a map layout on grey and white?  You can't see a damn thing on it.

I think I'll pass and buy Rage and Modern Warfare 3 instead.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #572 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
They still make games for the PS3?

-b0b
(...I keed, I keed!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #573 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
I ordered RAGE on Steam today, and it's preloading now.  I was on the fence, but after watching a few trailers, I think it's going to be a pretty decent title.  I'm excited, because I haven't played an Id title that was worth a darn in years now.  In my reckoning, the latest truly top-notch game they released was Quake 3 Arena, and even that paled in comparison to Unreal Tournament.

You guys should definitely check out the trailers.  If the gameplay is even half as good as the graphics, I think it might give Borderlands a run for its money.

-b0b
(...will find out tomorrow how good his choice was.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #574 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Let me know what you think b0b.  I was on the fence about picking Rage up for the PS3....might just wait and get Batman Gotham City.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #575 - Oct 4th, 2011 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
I had a chance to play through the first mission tonight (~35 minutes).  It's a pretty decent game.  It definitely has a Borderlands vibe to it, but the single player feels a bit more "deliberate" compared to the arcade/action bent in Borderlands.  There are definitely some crap-your-pants style surprises that involve scripted monsters dropping down on your character from nowhere.

My only real gripe so far is with the music.  Near the climax of the first mission, a beautiful and very urgent orchestral piece plays that really makes you fear what's around each corner.  The only problem is that it plays for 15 minutes solid, and it's only a 2-3 minute piece.  You can very clearly hear the abrupt end of the song and the sudden start from the beginning.  Moreover, it's really the kind of music that should be used in moderation.  After about 10 minutes, you're no longer anxious, you're just annoyed.

All in all, I look forward to spending more time with RAGE tomorrow.  This is definitely the best Id title I've played in many, many years (e.g. since Quake 3 Arena).

-b0b
(...loves it so far!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #576 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Id has released a new patch for Rage that includes a bunch of fixes (primarily for AMD rigs).  They've also decided PC gamers are worthy of vSync, texture caching, and anisotropic filtering, but they sound really unhappy about having to allow such things:

Quote:
The original release of RAGE does not expose many video/graphics options for people to tweak because some of these settings, although desirable from a quality perspective, simply will not work on specific configurations either due to hardware limitations and/or driver bugs. Due to popular demand for more video and graphics options, this patch updates the video settings menu and exposes several quality and performance settings. However, not everyone may be able to increase the settings due to hardware limitations and/or driver bugs.

Listen Id, we understand that not every PC can handle every option, but it's ridiculous to use that as an excuse for not offering those options to your customers.  An otherwise decent-looking title is all but ruined by screen tearing due to a lack of vSync.  No vSync?  Seriously?  I can't even remember the last title I played that didn't offer vSync or have it turned on by default.

I'm glad Id finally bothered to offer these options, but pretending like they were hidden for our benefit is demeaning and dumb.

-b0b
(...grrr!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #577 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Duke Nukem Forever is on sale on Steam for a whopping $9.99.  It's probably not even worth that much, but I think I'll pick it up so I can have something to play after I finish Rage.

I'm anxiously awaiting November, and the arrival of Skyrim.  I feel like pulling a Cartman and putting myself in a month-long coma.  The wait is killing me!

-b0b
(...must have more Elder Scrolls goodness!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #578 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
OH MY GOD SKYRIMMMMMMM!

Is anybody else planning on taking Friday off?  Please tell me I'm not the only one!

-b0b
(...can't wait another week!)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #579 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I can't take Friday off unfortunately.  BUT....I plan to sleep from noon till 7pm thursday, get the game at midnight, and play till I leave for work at 7:30am.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #580 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
OMG Skyrim is preloading now!  Only nine and a half more hours!

-b0b
(..squeeeeeeee!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #581 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
I just finished preloading off Steam.  I've already laid in the Dew and snacks to keep me awake after a long day of work.  Eight and a half more hours!

I was surprised the new game is only 5.8GB.  That seems fairly lean these days for a AAA title, but even more so for a Bethesda title.  Oblivion weighs in at 5.5GB (with the expansion and all DLC), Fallout 3 is 7.8GB with all of the DLC, and Fallout: New Vegas is 9.3GB with all the DLC.  Surely the DLC counts for something, but 5.8GB still seems a bit lean.  Maybe they've used ridiculously good compression?

-b0b
(...already has a sugar buzz.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #582 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
They actually said they have much better compression now. My coworkers were surprised by the size as well

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #583 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Yeah, it's the real deal.  Here's a quote from Pete Hines, after someone questioned the small file size:

Quote:
Because content doesn’t take lots more space if you know how to build an open world game, which we do.

Oblivion was, what, 4 something? Did it have more content than these games being mentioned that have 2x or 3x the install?

6 gigs: New engine and we’re much better at compression (art/voice/data). It’s huge yet more optimized than we’ve had before. And faster.

Briney, are you staying up for the midnight launch?  I'm half-tempted to use a European VPN just to play a couple hours earlier!

-b0b
(...two more hours!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #584 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Oh man i wish i could so bad... but i still have about 2 weeks left on a project and i cant even dare buy skyrim right now or that would be bad news. But believe me ill be diving in headfirst when its done!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 79
Send TopicPrint