Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 79 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Game Thread! (Read 200072 times)
MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: Game Thread!
Reply #630 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Holy balls the UI in Skyrim drives me insane!

I'm not even a UI designer and i would have made something better... The armor is arranged alphabetically and no priority is given to what's equipped?!?! egads!

The menu list starts in the middle... whaaaaat? I have to scroll for everything?!

And why is everyone going with this web 2.0 interface/font in games lately? Larger fonts, no icons, lots of dead space may be simple and clean...  but I'm checking my inventory not reading a blog! I should be able to quickly pick what i want without freakin scrolling all the time. Also, the the armor values on the bottom and the item all the way on the left forces my eye back and forth all the time, and is frankly uncomfortable.

Some really bad UI design decisions made here.

Also, Bethesda really loves their high frequency noisy textures. At least their animations have improved a bit.

Anyway my first impression is that this should be a pretty cool game. As long as I can get a mod for that UI...

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #631 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
The_Fat_Man wrote on Nov 24th, 2011 at 12:34pm:
Bob where do you find all the damn ingots to make this armor.  I'm level 27 and I don't think I've even seen a damn ebony or daedric piece of gear or smithing stuff yet.

I just buy them from vendors.  Ebony is fairly pricy, but I never had trouble finding it.  I did all of my smithing (and still do) in Whiterun, which has two smithing vendors in one store (Warmaiden's) and another general purpose vendor down the street (Belethor's).  I never have any trouble finding Ebony, but it is very expensive.

Warning: Spoilers!  The only vendor I'm aware of that sells Daedric Hearts (one is required per Daedric item) is Enthir at the college of wizardry, and he is not available until you get most of the way through the Thieves' Guild quest.  You can find random Daedric hearts in dungeons and other areas throughout the game, though.

-b0b
(...really needs to install a spoiler tag mod.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #632 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
MediaMaster wrote on Nov 24th, 2011 at 9:09pm:
Holy balls the UI in Skyrim drives me insane!

Without a doubt, the UI is the worst element of the entire game.  It is incredibly poorly designed and even in its simplicity it manages to be a buggy mess.  If you are in a store dialog and you don't click right on the name of the section you want to browse, you get dumped out of the store window altogether.  Then you get to listen to the inane vendor repeat the same line of dialog you've already heard a billion times.

Unfortunately, the creation kit isn't out yet, so mods are limited to texture improvements and replacements.

Here are a couple of mods I'm running right now:

No More Blocky Faces - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=30
Detailed Faces - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=26
Enhanced Night Sky - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=85
Glowing Ore Veins - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=193
High Quality Eyes - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=498
Realistic Water Textures - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=711
Detailed Bodies - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=256
High Def Textures - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=607

-b0b
(...loves Skyrim.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #633 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Yea ive just played more and i do have to say i love it. It is so great to look up and see the red moon that ive come to love from elder scrolls.

Ive also just finished tweaking some of the ini files as described on http://deadendthrills.com/2011/11/madness-in-the-method/

I now load in the detail muuuuch further now so I dont get as many LOD meshes. game looks great!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #634 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 7:53am
Print Post  
I've been watching Dead End Thrills for a couple weeks now, good stuff.  How many cells/grids are you loading?  Did you turn it up to 11?

-b0b
(...needs to give it a try.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #635 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 7:55am
Print Post  

I really should ditch Lydia.  She's been a huge asset over the last 45 levels, but I'm getting incredibly tired of her voice acting.  The same five lines over and over and over.  The next time I hear "I'm sworn to carry your burdens", I'm going to scream!

-b0b
(...needs a hot sorceress chick.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #636 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Do the Shrine of Azura quest line.  At the end her head priest will swear to you.  She is a summoner/destruction dark elf chick.  I used her for a while before accidentally blowing her up with a Fireball.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #637 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 10:22am
Print Post  
The_Fat_Man wrote on Nov 25th, 2011 at 10:13am:
She is a summoner/destruction dark elf chick.  I used her for a while before accidentally blowing her up with a Fireball.

Yeah, that'll happen.

-b0b
(...meh.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #638 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 12:34am
Print Post  
I've spent the last two nights putting in about 14 hours of The Old Republic, the new MMO from Bioware.

I cannot recomend a game, even if it is an MMO, more strongly if I tried.  The quest, or character stories as the game refers to them, are absolutely fucking mind blowingly good.  Every quest is voice acted, well, and really puts you in the thick of things.

For example, I levelled a Sith Warrior to level 11 (specializing to a Sith Juggernaut).  In that time, I competed for my masters acceptance, who I then murdered to get in good with Darth Baras.  I activated an ancient Sith machine with a group in a Flashpoint (think instance or dungeon).  I freed a Jedi prisoner, and led him to believe he had information, that I planted, and which was fake.  All this took place on the cruel and harsh landscape of Korriban.

I also spent some time levelling a Sith Agent to level 8 or so.  And running around the polluted and slave riddled landscape of Nal Hutta, with the twinkling city-planet of Nar Shadda hanging in the sky overhead is fucking breathtaking. 

Do yourself a favor....play this game.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #639 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 2:40am
Print Post  
that sounds pretty awesome! got any screens?

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #640 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 8:55am
Print Post  
I can't wait to hear about the end-game.  I'm hoping it doesn't turn into a grindy mess like every other MMO out there.

-b0b
(...soon!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #641 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Hehe, was looking for menu mods for skyrim and found this:

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/skyrim-interface.jpg

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #642 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
I've got 114 hours into the game, and I think I'm finally starting to burn out on my first playthrough.  Saints Row 3 is still calling my name, and I picked up a bunch of new games during the Thanksgiving sale on Steam.  Bulletstorm, FEAR 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dungeon Defenders, and L.A. Noire are now on my list of must-play titles.

I still want to finish off the main quest (first time I've done that in an Elder Scrolls title since Arena) and the Dark Brotherhood stuff, but I am definitely slowing down.  Now that I've hit level 50, my level climbing has slowed to a monotonous crawl as I've maxed out all of the skills that I actually use.  I can keep grinding up to level 80 by using a new set of skills (two-handed, block, etc) but that might be reserved for my next Skyrim binge six months down the road.

-b0b
(...best Elder Scrolls title yet!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #643 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
wow bob thats insane... you haven't finished the main playthrough in morrowind and oblivion?!?  I have a few friends here at work that did the same thing. Just wandered around the world and did the random quests.

I just finished the Mage quests, those were very fun. I'm hoping the Companion ones are just as good, and then the Thieves guild and Dark brotherhood are calling my name. But in between each of those ill try to do a few main questline ones. For balance...

114 hours... kudos!

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #644 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I do not have any screens of the Old Republic, the in-game screenshot mechanic was disabled from the NDA still and I didn't feel like using an outside program to screenshot shit.  The NDA is already lifted by the way.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 79
Send TopicPrint